Skip to content. Accessibility info.

Access & Privacy

Access & Privacy

The Municipal Government Act (MGA), which provides authority for most of the activities and operations of municipal governments in Nova Scotia, also contains provisions relating to freedom of information and protection of privacy. These provisions are found in Part XX of the Act. 

The intent of Part XX of the MGA is to balance two principles:

  • Freedom of Information - whenever possible, information held by the Municipality should be made available to the public; and
  • Protection of Privacy - the Municipality should not improperly collect or disclose personal information.

The legislation provides that the public have:

  • the right to request access to information held by the Municipality;
  • the right to access personal information about themselves that is held by the Municipality;
  • the right to request correction to their personal information that is held by the Municipality;
  • controls on the collection, use and disclosure of personal information, by the Municipality; and
  • the right to request independent review of decisions made under the access to information process.

How do I access Municipal records?

  1. You should start by checking the Routine Disclosure Plans that have been newly established by our Business Units. If what you are looking for is listed in a Routine Disclosure Plan, you can proceed to submit a Routine Disclosure request for the information/records.
  2. If you cannot find the information or records you are looking for within a Routine Disclosure Plan, simply contact the Business Unit you think might have the information you are looking for. If the information you are looking for is general in nature, they may be able to provide it to you routinely.
  3. If the information/records you are looking for are not available through Routine Disclosure Plans or routinely available through the Business Unit(s), please proceed to file an Access to Information Request.

** Please Note: The Municipality does not process Access to Information requests for the following public bodies: Halifax Regional Police, Halifax Water and the Halifax Regional School Board.

If you are looking for access to records held by:

Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM), please click here.

Halifax Regional Police (HRP), please click here.

Halifax Water (HW), please click here.

Halifax Regional School Board (HRSB), please click here.