Skip to content. Accessibility info.

Permits and Inspections

Do I need a permit?

You require a permit if:

  • The work you are doing is structural
  • You are moving or replacing any plumbing
  • The value of the work is $5000 or more
  • You are installing a pool

Pool permit brochure coverHomes permit brochure coverDeck permit brochure coverSheds permit brochure coverRenos permit brochure coverSolar permit brochure cover



Construction Permit brochure cover

How do I apply for a permit?

You can apply for a permit in person at any municipal customer service location. Project specific information is available in the individual brochures, which can be viewed by clicking the images above. Information on permit fees as well as the permit application form are available in the Construction Permits brochure.









M200 By-Law rack card
M-200 By-Law

    The M-200 By-Law is the minimum standard to which residential buildings including houses, apartment buildings and rooming houses in the municpality must be maintained. You should report any buildings in the municipality you suspect don't meet the requirements of the M-200 By-Law. You can report a noncompliant building by calling 311 or by visiting a customer service centre. M-200 By-Law User Guide.

    Tenancy Info - The focus of Building Standards is building safety, if you require mediation for a tenant-landlord dispute or for more information of early lease termination, please contact the Tenancy Board of Nova Scotia.







Now that I have a permit. What do I do next?

Once your permit has been approved, you can start work on your project. You are required to call for all mandatory inspections relevant to your project. The mandatory inspections typically are:

  • Footing
  • Foundation
  • Underground plumbing
  • Underslab insulation
  • Framing
  • Rough in plumbing
  • Prior to drywall
  • Final building
  • Final plumbing

Additional inspections may be required depending on the type of work you are doing.

To request an inspection call 902.490.7097

Contractor's Desk

Contractors Desk is a tool that allows permit holders to access online information regarding their projects. It allows quick and easy booking of inspections by registered users. Information entered by the Building Official regarding past inspections can also be viewed as well as what inspections may be outstanding.

Registered User Login New User Form


Building Code and Regulatory Information

Open Data

As part of Building Standards commitment to improving citizen engagement and enhancing transparency and accountability to residents, the municipality is pleased to provide public access to its data:
Building Details


  • Spray foam - Spray foam insulation is not permitted to be in contact with Type IC or Type IC, inherently protected pot lights.

Contact Us

To apply for a permit or submit any construction related questions or complaints please visit a power centre. You can also call 311 with questions or complaints. To request an inspection call 902.490.7097.