HALIFAX EXPLOSION MEMORIAL BELL TOWER
The Halifax Explosion Memorial Bell Tower on Fort Needham overlooks the area devastated by the Halifax Explosion of December 6, 1917. It commemorates those who were killed or suffered injury, and those who lost homes and family when the munitions ship, Mont Blanc, blew up in Halifax Harbour. It also honours the survivors, who rebuilt the cities of Halifax and Dartmouth in the years that followed.
The ten original bells hanging in the tower were donated to the United Memorial Church on nearby Kaye Street by Barbara Orr, who lost her entire family in the explosion. That church, dedicated in 1921, took the place of two other churches that had been destroyed by the blast. Explosion survivors formed most of its early congregation.
The bells eventually had to be removed from the Kaye Street Church owing to structural problems. Their new tower in Fort Needham Park was built, largely by public subscription, and completed in June, 1985. Later, four extra bells were added.
An annual remembrance ceremony is held at the bell tower on December 6, with a short silence just before 9:05 a.m., the time of the explosion.
Designer: Core Design Group
Dedicated: June 9, 1985
Location: Fort Needham Memorial Park