Skip to content. Accessibility info.


The HRM Elections team is committed to ensuring that all electors are able to cast their vote independently.

Do you need help to mark your ballot?

If you have a physical disability or are a senior and require assistance to mark your ballot you can bring a friend with you to the polling station. That person will be allowed behind the privacy screen with you to help you mark the ballot. Your friend can be related to you, or just a friend. Either way, you and your friend will be asked to take an oath before you cast your ballot.

You can also ask the Deputy Returning Officer (at the poll) to help you vote.

What if your polling location is not accessible?

It is mandatory all polling locations have level access to allow for wheelchair access.

Are you visually impaired?

You can ask the Deputy Returning Officer (DRO) at the poll for the template that is available at all polling locations to assist persons who are visually impaired.

Voting by the deaf and hard of hearing

You can choose to have a friend assist you at the poll (as above) or you can bring a translator with you if can speak using sign language.

Women in shelters

If you are in a shelter at an undisclosed location, you may not want to vote at your regular polling station on election day. We respect your privacy. In these circumstances we recommend that you take advantage of the Advance polls.

Voting when you are homeless

The eligibility to vote in the municipal and school board elections is

  • You are at least 18 years or older and a Canadian citizen on the first advance polling day in an election (October 8th, 2016)
  • You have been ordinarily residing in the Province for a period of six (6) months immediately preceding the first advance polling day; and
  • You are a resident of Halifax Regional Municipality immediately before the first advance polling day
  • You are not otherwise disqualified to vote in the municipal and School Board elections

The poll location you vote at is determined by where you live. If you are staying at a hostel or shelter, or with friends, or have a location you consider to be your place of residence you can vote at the poll location for that polling division.

If you are not on the voters list, you will be asked to sign a declaration confirming your information but are not required to have id.


Questions? Contact the Election Office.

Above content last modified Friday, September 09, 2016 at 4:44pm.