How to apply for a Tent Air-Supported Structure Permit
Frequently Asked Questions:
Questions & Answers for Tent Permit Applications:
Is a permit required for a 10 x 10 tent or canopy?
Is a permit required if there is more then one 10 x 10 tent or canopy on site?
- No, as long as all tents and canopies are 10 feet apart.
As a vendor that is taking part in an HRM Special Event, such as Tall Ships, Buskers, concerts, etc, who is responsible for obtaining the application for the tent permit?
- Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service, will liaison with organizers of larger events through the HRM Special events Task Force. Event organizers will be responsible for overall safety throughout the event and to ensure tents, canopies and equipment used by venders meet the requirements of the Special Event Guidelines. Tents and canopies in excess of 10ft X10ft. (3.48 metres) will require individual permits.
How long does it take for the application process?
- If it is a large event, such as Tall Ships, Buskers, concerts, etc, 10 business days are needed to review and approve the applications. This is due to other HRM business units or other agencies that require approval also, such as Alcohol & Gaming.
- For a small event of 200 people or less, 5 business days will be required to review and approve the applications.
Is there a fee for the application?
- Yes, upon picking up the application a fee of $78.75 taxes included will be made payable paid to the Halifax Regional Municipality.
- Payment can be made by cash, debit, cheque or credit card.
Where do I pick up and pay for my application package?
- HRM Customer Service Office, Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30
- 40 Alderney Gate, 2nd Floor, Dartmouth
- Scotia Square Mall, Halifax
- 7071 Bayers Road, Suite 2005, 2nd floor, Halifax
- 636 Sackville Drive, Sackville
Do you have a few questions about how to fill out the application?
Office Hours and contact information for the Fire Prevention Division of Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency office are as follows:
- General Inquires Line: 902-490-5546 Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30
Leave a message on this line and a person will contact you regarding your application.