Skip to content. Accessibility info.

Reporting Crime

Emergency? Call 9-1-1

When immediate action is required: someone's life or property is in immediate danger or a crime is in progress. In-progress is defined as currently happening, the suspect may still be in the area and/or the victim may still be in danger.

Examples: Assaults, robberies, break and enters, fights, gunshots, vehicle accidents with injuries, suspected impaired drivers, someone is in the process of stealing your vehicle.

Please DO NOT call 9-1-1 for any non-emergency matters. If you aren’t sure if your situation is an emergency it's best to call 9-1-1 and let the experts decide.

9-1-1 has a built-in TTY/TDD for the hearing impaired.

Online Reporting

The following incidents can be reported online:

  • You've lost something.
  • Someone has stolen something from you.
  • Someone has vandalized your property or your car.
  • Someone has broken into your car.

Other online reporting options:

  • Leave a message for an officer. You can also use this form to report not in-progress driving complaints and problem traffic areas. You can input the information in the "Message for the Officer" text box at the bottom of the form.

Click here to file a report in French.

By Phone

Non-emergency dispatch line – 902-490-5020
You have a non-emergency incident but you need an officer to come to the scene.

Examples: not in progress - break and enters, robberies, stolen vehicles, historical sexual assaults; in progress - driving complaints, noise complaints.

Incident reporting line – 902-490-5016
You want to report a crime that doesn’t require an officer to come to the scene, for example, there is no potential evidence for an officer to collect.

Examples: Thefts, thefts from vehicles, property damage, driving complaints not in progress, fraud, lost/found property, stolen license plates (need license plate number )

In Person

You can file a report at any of our three divisional offices.

Motor vehicle accidents must be reported in person at one of our divisional offices.

Make an Anonymous Tip

If you have information about a crime and you would prefer to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers toll-free 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), submit a secure web tip at or text a tip - Tip 202 + your message to 274637.

Contact HRP

For general enquiries or other contact information, visit the Contact HRP page