Competition #: HW18-21E
Title: Engineering Technologist II (Planning)
Department: Regulatory Services
Term: Term position, up to 5 months
Primary Function: Review and approval of building permit applications and subdivision applications relating to the connection to, or extension of, the water distribution wastewater and stormwater collection systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review of drawings, specifications and other related material submitted in support of applications for residential and commercial building permits and subdivision development as these applications relate to the connection to, or extension of, the water distribution wastewater and stormwater collection systems.
- Approve subdivision applications, inclusive of main extensions, building permit applications for single family dwellings and semi- detached Dwellings, and Multi-Unit – Institutional – Commercial - Industrial. Liaise with Senior staff on approval issues as required.
- Initiate and coordinate correspondence or all aspects of the building permit and subdivision review and approval process.
- Prepare and review Services Agreements and System Maintenance Agreements for the subdivision approval process.
- Review and approve pre-tender review drawings prepared by Halifax Water Capital Group and HRM Design Services Group. Liaise with Engineering and Operations to undertake the review.
- Reviews submissions from other underground utilities for any conflicts with Halifax Water infrastructure and prepares Clearance Letters.
- Co-ordinate final acceptance of system extensions with internal departments, including formal advisement with Customer Service and Operations.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of water, wastewater and stormwater systems masterplans.
- Assist in the development and operation of a computerized hydraulic network model of the regional water system and capacity analysis model for the regional wastewater system.
- Prepare technical reports and studies relating to engineering projects/topics.
- Perform duties in support of construction activities including inspection, record collection utilizing Total Station survey equipment, field tests, quantity calculations, post processing of collected data, and related activities.
- Assist in review and approval of Backflow Prevention Device approval forms and associated drawings.
- Liaise with developers, consultants, contractors, permit applicants, general public and other approval agencies.
- Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Reports to: Intermediate Development Engineer
- Civil Engineering Technologist Diploma, or equivalent related engineering courses.
- Minimum five years experience working within Municipal Engineering environment in construction inspection and / or related engineering department activities.
- Registered member or eligible for membership in TechNova as Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.).
- Must possess a valid Nova Scotia Drivers License.
Other Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Survey knowledge and capability utilizing survey equipment.
- Computer knowledge and proficiency in software utilized in engineering applications.
- Knowledge of specifications, codes and legislation relating to Municipal water and wastewater systems.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
This is a CUPE Local 1431 unionized position.
How to Apply
Completed cover letters and application forms [PDF] or resumes, stating Competition #HW18-21E must be received by 4:30 pm on March 13, 2018. Please forward to:
P.O. Box 8388, RPO CSC
Halifax Water is an equal opportunity employer