Position: Heavy Duty Garage Mechanic
Department: Wastewater and Stormwater Services
The successful incumbent will be responsible to coordinate, maintain and complete preventative maintenance to Halifax Water’s heavy equipment fleet including medium and heavy duty trucks, construction equipment, light duty service vehicles, compressors, pumps and diesel engines as required. They will ensure that the garage, equipment and stock materials are secured for required work. Also, coordinate fleet repair and preventative maintenance program.
Minimum qualifications: Grade 12 or the NS Department of Education equivalent plus a Red Seal Heavy Equipment/Truck/Bus Mechanic license or approved equivalent, along with a minimum of five years’ related experience as a heavy duty mechanic and a valid NS Class 3 drivers’ license with airbrakes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct mechanical and safety related repairs to Halifax Water vehicles and equipment as directed.
- Prepare vehicle maintenance records, preventative maintenance schedules, log all work conducted to vehicles and maintain other related files, manuals and inventory.
- Responsible to ensure that the garage facility, associated tools and equipment are in safe
- Working condition and is generally responsible for the efficient operation of the garage facility.
- Undertake repair works to diesel generators and pumps as required.
- Operate garage equipment, tools and other Halifax Water equipment.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
HOURS OF WORK: This position works Monday to Friday from 12 noon to 8 pm, per the CUPE Local 227 Collective Agreement.
RATE OF PAY: As per Collective Agreement
This is a CUPE Local 227 Unionized position
How to Apply
Completed cover letters and application forms [PDF] or resumes, stating Competition #HW18-115E must be received by 4:30 p.m. on January 25, 2019. Please forward to:
P.O. Box 8388, RPO CSC
Halifax Water is an equal opportunity employer