Competition #: HW19-15E
Title: Office Assistant II
Department: Safety & Security Section of Regulatory Services
Provides administrative services for the applicable department.
You will be responsible for your personal safety and that of your co-workers by observing all Occupational Health and Safety Rules and Regulations and Halifax Water’s Occupational Health and Safety Program Manual.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receive visitors and answer telephones; provide the available information or refer to the appropriate personnel/department.
- Prepare correspondence, reports, spreadsheets, etc. from handwritten notes, hardcopy or electronic documents, verbal instructions, or dictaphone. Frequently prepare correspondence that is self-composed.
- Retrieve, open and distribute mail for the department. Assist with processing outgoing mail for the department. Distribute inter-departmental notices (e.g. pay stubs).
- Schedule appointments, book meeting room space and equipment. Attend regular departmental meetings, compile agenda items and background information, record and prepare meeting minutes. Assist with ordering resources, materials and meals for meetings as required.
- Compile data, statistical records, support documents and other departmental information (e.g. employee training, expense, vacation, absenteeism, and timecard data). First line support for departmental SAP accounting and Purchasing Card inquiries. Assist with completion of employee timecard and expense reports as required.
- Research, compile and verify data, statistical records, and support documents in preparation for meetings, work projects, reports, etc. as required.
- Use computer software applications and technology to perform job duties.
- Operate office equipment such as: calculator, fax machine, personal computer, photocopier, HP printer, dictaphone, etc.
- Perform filing duties and file maintenance duties, including assisting with maintenance, retrieval, retention and destruction of records according to policy.
- Order office supplies and equipment for departmental staff as required. Coordinate with other Office Assistants the ordering and restocking of common departmental stationary supplies.
- Provide back-up for other Office Assistant and Administrative Assistant positions as required.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Reports To: Assigned Manager
- Grade 12 plus a Business / Secretarial Certificate from a recognized educational institution.
- Three years related secretarial experience.
Certificates / Licenses / Registrations:
- Must be willing to undertake and maintain the following safety training
- First Aid
- Globally Harmonized System (GHS) - Formerly WHMIS
- Additional safety training as identified based on legislative and operational requirements
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High degree of confidentiality
- High degree of professionalism.
- Proficiency in typing 50 wpm (speed and accuracy).
- Knowledge of and proficiency in using personal computers with emphasis on word processing, spreadsheet applications in a Windows environment, e-mail and internet.
- Knowledge of general office procedures and file/records management.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize the workload.
- Excellent demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Mathematical aptitude and demonstrated ability to deal accurately with figures and detailed records.
- Must have a high degree of ability to deal courteously and competently with customers.
This is a non-union position.
As part of the selection process, applicants meeting the minimum qualifications for the position may be required to demonstrate their knowledge, skills and abilities for the position through a set of practical applications.
How to Apply
Completed cover letters and application forms [PDF] or resumes, stating Competition #HW19-15E must be received by 4:30 pm on February 15, 2019. Please forward to:
P.O. Box 8388, RPO CSC
Halifax Water is an equal opportunity employer