What do I need to apply for a Food Service Vehicle & Food Stand Vending licence?
To apply for a food service vehicle or food stand licence, you will need to provide the following documents:
- Completed vending application form
- Criminal Record Report (dated within 30 days of the date of application)
- photograph of the food service vehicle, food stand or bicycle wagon
- a copy of your photo identification
- written consent from the owner (if you are not the owner of the vehicle or stand)
- copy of valid Health Permit
- proof of insurance for $2,000,000 coverage and naming Halifax Regional Municipality (spelled out) as additionally insured
Where can I submit my vending application?
If you are ready to apply, complete the vending application form and return it with all supporting documentation to a Municipal Customer Service Centre.
Does my food service vehicle, food stand or bicycle wagon require an inspection?
Once your vending application has been approved, you will be contacted to schedule an inspection of your food service vehicle, food stand or bicycle wagon. Inspections are completed at 7 Mellor Avenue, Dartmouth. Please bring your food service vehicle, food stand or bicycle wagon to the back of the building, near the ramp.
What can I expect when my Food Service Vehicle is inspected?
During the inspection at 7 Mellor Avenue, fire extinguishers are checked, propane and electrical installations will also be checked to see they were approved by the appropriate authorities as required.
Furthermore, during the inspection staff will check for the following items:
- Length and width of vehicle or stand will be measured to ensure it is not greater than the maximum lengths
- A metal exhaust hood over the fryers / grill with all seams of the hood system having a continuous weld
- A flip up roof panel above the hood or two (2) turbines for ventilation / removal of the grease laden vapors
- A fixed pipe extinguishing system with posted operating instructions and a tag indicating it has been inspected within the last six (6) months
- A type "K" portable fire extinguisher for deep fryers
- A multi-purpose dry chemical or powder extinguisher for fire of other classes (5 lbs. ABC type will suffice)
- Propane system must have a "green tag" attached as per Sec 31 NS Fuel Safety Regulations
- Umbrella, awnings or similar items must be at least 2 meters above the level of the sidewalk
- Displayed valid Nova Scotia Health Permit
- All equipment is secured to prevent movement during transit
- Compressors, auxiliary engines, generators, batteries, propane tanks, etc. are installed so as to be accessible from the exterior of the vehicle / cart
- Accessible three (3) tier waste system
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who should I contact for gas, propane and electrical installation for my food service vehicle and food stand?
A: For propane and gas permits contact Nova Scotia Department of Labour and Advanced Education. In the case electrical wiring, contact Nova Scotia Power for their permit requirements and inspections.
Q: Does a person need a food vending licence from the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) License Office, if a person sells food on private property?
A: The vending by-law C-501 only issues vending licences for specific sites on municipal land.