The Municipality has received 23 individual applications for site-specific Secondary Municipal Planning Strategy (SMPS) amendments to enable various development proposals in the Regional Centre (the area defined as Dartmouth within the Circumferential Highway and Peninsular Halifax).
Specific proposal details for each application are available below under the “Documents Submitted for Evaluation” section of this web page.
Regional Council has given direction for each of the original 22 applications, as outlined in the “Documents Submitted for Evaluation” section of this webpage. For additional information, please refer to the Staff Report and the Supplementary Staff Report.
In May 2019, the Municipality received a 23rd site-specific amendment application for Dalhousie University’s Studley Campus. Regional Council has yet to give direction on this request.
Regional Council gave direction for 14 of the original 22 applications on August 1, 2017, and gave direction for the other 8 original applications on January 16, 2018.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicants have submitted plans and studies in relation to their applications, which can be viewed by clicking on the applications outlined below.
Staff have processed the following 2 applications as site-specific secondary municipal planning strategy amendments, which are subject to existing policy. New planning policy for these two applications was approved by Regional Council following a public hearing:
• 6. 20323 Ben’s Bakery Redevelopment, Halifax
• 8. 20436 102 Albro Lake Road, Dartmouth
Regional Council directed staff to process 15 applications for site-specific secondary municipal planning strategy amendments subject to the proposals:
a) generally aligning with the June 2017 Centre Plan document relative to Urban Structure, Height and Floor Area Ratio, and
b) addressing the planning principles of transition, pedestrian-orientation, human-scale, building design, and context-sensitive.
Of the noted 15 applications, Regional Council held public hearings and subsequently approved new planning policy for the following:
• 2. 20148 Robie, Pepperell and Shirley Streets, Halifax
• 5. 20267 Chebucto Road, Beech and Elm Streets, Halifax
• 9. 20577 Robie, Compton and Cunard Streets, Halifax
Staff have prepared recommendation reports for the following 2 applications, which have public hearings scheduled for June 18, 2019:
• 10. 20632 Agricola Street, Halifax
• 14. 20774 Wellington Street, Halifax
Staff have prepared recommendation reports for 6 additional applications. These applications have been reviewed by Halifax & West Community Council and will be advanced to Regional Council for first reading. Regional Council may choose to schedule public hearings for these applications in the near future (potentially as early as July 2019):
• 3. 20159 Victoria Road and South Park Street, Halifax
• 4. 20218 Spring Garden Road and Robie Street, Halifax
• 7. 20520 Quinpool Road and Pepperell Street (McDonald’s/ Fitness FX), Halifax (PDF)
• 11. 20658 Bayers Road and Young Street, Halifax
• 13. 20761 Robie, College and Carlton Streets, Halifax
• 21. 21115 Quinpool Road and Pepperell Street, Halifax
4 of the 15 applications have yet to advance to a public hearing. As such, staff will seek Regional Council’s direction on these remaining 4 applications:
• 1. 20158 Duffus and Robie Streets, Halifax (Cousins Restaurant)
• 15. 20830 Victoria Road and Queen Street, Dartmouth (PDF)
• 16. 20831 Canal Street, Dartmouth (PDF)
• 20. 20981 101 King Street (Opportunity Site A), Dartmouth (PDF)
Regional Council also directed staff to engage with, and encourage 5 applicants to amend their proposals to better align with the draft Centre Plan policies and regulations. Subsequently, Case 20980 was withdrawn. Now that Centre Plan – Package A has been released, staff will return to Regional Council to seek further direction on these remaining applications (not including Case 20980):
• 12. 20669 Kaye and Young Streets (Former United Memorial Church), Halifax (PDF)
• 17. 20876 South and Harvey Streets, Halifax (PDF)
• 18. 20898 Lucknow Street, Halifax (PDF)
• 22. 21240 South Street and South Park Street, Halifax (PDF)
• 19. 20980 Quinpool Road, Halifax - Withdrawn (PDF)
Dalhousie University’s May 2019 application has not yet received direction from Regional Council. Staff will seek Regional Council’s direction on this application:
23. 22399 Dalhousie - Studley Campus, Halifax (PDF)