The Municipality has received 22 individual applications for site-specific Secondary Municipal Planning Strategy (SMPS) amendments to enable various development proposals in the Regional Centre (the area defined as Dartmouth within the Circumferential Highway and Peninsular Halifax).
Specific proposal details for each application are available below under the “Documents Submitted for Evaluation” section of this web page.
Regional Council has given direction to staff for each application, as outlined in the “Documents Submitted for Evaluation” section of this webpage. For additional please refer to the Staff Report and the Supplementary Staff Report.
Regional Council gave direction to staff for 14 of 22 applications on August 1, 2017, and gave direction for the remaining 8 applications on January 16, 2018.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicants have submitted plans and studies in relation to their applications, which can be viewed by clicking on the applications outlined below. These documents are also available for review at the Planning Applications office in Downtown Dartmouth.
Staff are processing the following 2 applications as site-specific secondary municipal planning strategy amendments, which are unique under existing policy:
• 6. 20323 Ben’s Bakery Redevelopment, Halifax
• 8. 20436 102 Albro Lake Road, Dartmouth
Staff are processing the following 15 requests for site-specific secondary municipal planning strategy amendments subject to the proposals:
a) generally aligning with the June 2017 Centre Plan document relative to Urban Structure, Height and Floor Area Ratio, and
b) addressing the planning principles of transition, pedestrian-orientation, human-scale, building design, and context-sensitive.
• 1. 20158 Duffus and Robie Streets, Halifax (Cousins Restaurant)
• 2. 20148 Robie, Pepperell and Shirley Streets, Halifax
• 3. 20159 Victoria Road and South Park Street, Halifax (PDF)
• 4. 20218 Spring Garden Road and Robie Street, Halifax (PDF)
• 5. 20267 Chebucto Road, Beech and Elm Streets, Halifax
• 7. 20520 Quinpool Road and Pepperell Street (McDonald’s/ Fitness FX), Halifax (PDF)
• 9. 20577 Robie, Compton and Cunard Streets, Halifax
• 10. 20632 Agricola Street, Halifax
• 11. 20658 Bayers Road and Young Street, Halifax
• 13. 20761 Robie, College and Carlton Streets, Halifax (PDF)
• 14. 20774 Wellington Street, Halifax
• 15. 20830 Victoria Road and Queen Street, Dartmouth (PDF)
• 16. 20831 Canal Street, Dartmouth (PDF)
• 20. 20981 101 King Street (Opportunity Site A), Dartmouth (PDF)
• 21. 21115 Quinpool Road and Pepperell Street, Halifax (PDF)
For the 5 requests below, staff are continuing to engage with the applicants, and encouraging them to amend their proposals to better align with the draft Centre Plan policies and regulations. Staff will return to Council to seek further direction on these proposals following the release of the Centre Plan Package “A” draft to the Community Design Advisory Community in February 2018.
• 12. 20669 Kaye and Young Streets (Former United Memorial Church), Halifax (PDF)
• 17. 20876 South and Harvey Streets, Halifax (PDF)
• 18. 20898 Lucknow Street, Halifax (PDF)
• 19. 20980 Quinpool Road, Halifax (PDF)
• 22. 21240 South Street and South Park Street, Halifax (PDF)