Halifax Peninsula Planning Advisory Committee discussed this application at their meeting on August 28th, 2017. The Committee’s comments can be found below in the status section of this page. The Committee’s comments will be forwarded to Halifax and West Community Council. This motion has been provided to HRM planning staff and will be addressed in their report to the Halifax & West Community Council.
Application by Dexel Developments to change the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law to allow a 14-storey building with commercial uses and residential units, on lands fronting Robie, Pepperell and Shirley Streets. The 14-storey building is an update to an earlier proposal for a 12-storey building on the site.
Proposal – View the site in Google Maps
The applicant wishes to redevelop 6030 Pepperell Street, a vacant property that fronts on Robie, Pepperell and Shirley Streets, with a mix of uses, including:
General Land Uses - Mixed-use (commercial and residential)
Building Details - Maximum 14-storey tower on the corner of Robie and Pepperell
Streets, with 8-storeys extending south on Robie Street and 3-storeys extending west down Pepperell Street; ground floor commercial with residential units on upper floors
The material submitted by the applicant is below. It outlines the development proposal in detail, and includes project renderings, a site plan, building drawings and a Traffic Impact Statement. The applicant may revise some elements of this proposal before staff makes a recommendation to Regional Council.
The application is a request for new planning policy. Before Regional Council can make any decision about the proposal, a Public Hearing must be held. Additional information on process can be found in the staff report to Regional Council.
Halifax Peninsula Planning Advisory Committee discussed this application at their meeting on August 28th, 2017. The Committee’s comments will be forwarded to Halifax and West Community Council. This motion has been provided to HRM planning staff and will be addressed in their report to the Halifax & West Community Council.
THAT the Halifax Peninsula Advisory Committee has reviewed the application to proceed with the approval process of Case 20148 with the following comments and suggestions:
• The committee dislikes the blank concrete planter walls on the West End of Pepperell Street.
• The committee values the interface with the backyards and backs of homes on Shirley Street.
• The committee values a detailed design that should pay close attention to the pedestrian interface to and from the development.
• The committee recommends tree planting on the property as suggested by the Wind Impact Assessment.
• The committee recommends that the proposal include, at a minimum, the bicycle parking as required by the Land Use Bylaw.
• The committee recommends keeping the amenity spaces and they are valued.
• The committee recommends decreasing the parking spaces in the development to the number of units.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted plans and studies required by HRM staff to properly evaluate the application for a 14-storey building. Some documents are from the August 2015 proposal for a 12-storey building; staff will decide if these documents must be updated by the applicant.
The documents are also available for review at the Planning Applications office at 40 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth. The details of this application may change before consideration or approval by Regional Council.