Regional Council hosted a public hearing for Case 20520 on Tuesday, July 16, 2019. At the conclusion of the hearing, Regional Council passed a motion to adopt the proposed MPS and LUB amendments. The amendments will now be sent to the Provincial Director of Planning for review. See “Status Section” below for more details.
Dexel Developments Ltd. is applying to amend the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law to enable an 8-storey (plus penthouse) mixed-use development at 6324 & 6330 Quinpool Road with a 3-storey section facing Pepperell Street. View the latest report.
View the site in Google Maps
The applicant wishes to develop an 8-storey (plus penthouse) building. The major features of the proposal are:
• An 8-storey portion of the building facing Quinpool Road, and a 3-storey portion of the building facing Pepperell Street;
• A three-storey streetwall facing Quinpool Road; and
• Ground floor commercial uses facing Quinpool Road.
The following documents provide information about the proposal:
The application is a request for new planning policy. Before Regional Council can make any decision about the proposal, a Public Hearing must be held.
• On January 16, 2018, Regional Council directed staff to begin a process to consider new planning policy.
• Halifax Peninsula Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) hosted a public meeting on Thursday, October 11th, 2018. View the meeting notes.
• PAC discussed this proposal on December 10, 2018. View the meeting minutes. PAC will forward their comments to Council for consideration.
• Halifax and West Community Council discussed this proposal on June 11, 2019. Community Council forwarded their recommendation to Regional Council.
• Regional Council considered this proposal at their June 18, 2019 meeting and subsequently scheduled a public hearing. View the staff report.
• Public hearing was held on July 16, 2019 and the proposed amendments were approved by Regional Council.
• Halifax and West Community Council must host a second public hearing to discuss a proposed development agreement that would enable the proposal.
Regional Council hosted a public hearing on July 16, 2019 at Halifax City Hall. At the conclusion of the hearing, Regional Council passed a motion to adopt the proposed MPS and LUB amendments. The amendments will now be sent to the Provincial Director of Planning for review. If the amendments are approved by the Province, the amendments would allow for the consideration of a development through the development agreement process.
Before a development agreement is approved, Halifax & West Community Council must host a second public hearing where residents can speak to the conditions of said agreement. Following this public hearing, Community Council will make a decision on the development agreement.