Application by WSP Canada Inc. to discharge an existing development agreement at lands on Marketplace Drive, Dartmouth (otherwise known as Harbour Isle Development), and to enter into a new development agreement over expanded lands.
Proposal - View site in Google Maps
A new development agreement for lands at Marketplace Drive would continue to regulate the previously approved 3 multi-unit buildings (totalling 255 dwelling units) within Phases 1 and 2.
The new agreement would expand the lands governed under the agreement, and would create the ability to undertake Phases 3 through 7. These additional phases would permit:
• The development of three (3) additional multi-residential buildings (Phase 3, 4 and 5);
• The development of one (1) 100,000 sq. ft. office building (Phase 6);
• The development of one (1) hotel with 175 rooms and one (1) 4800 sq. ft. restaurant building (Phase 7); and
• The continuation of the waterfront boardwalk which will encompass the entire site.
Existing Development Agreement (Planning Case No. 18809)
• Case 18809 (Development Agreement)
Existing Development Agreement – Allowances:
Details in the Agreement are generally as follows:
Phase 1 (completed)
• 13 storey, mixed use building with 4,500 square feet of commercial/retail use
• 77 residential units in the tower, and 12 townhouse style units at the ground level (89 total units)
• The commercial space may be converted to an additional 5 townhouse units.
• Underground parking
• One 16 storey, multi-unit building with 98 residential units in the tower, and 7 townhouse style units at the ground floor level (105 total units)
• One 16 storey, multi-unit building with a maximum of 93 residential units in the tower, and 12 townhouse units at the ground floor level (105 total units)
• Underground parking
General provisions for both Phases include landscaping provisions, and a public easement/construction of a waterfront boardwalk around the site.
This application is being considered under the Development Agreement Process.
As part of the Public Consultation Stage of the Planning Process, Planning staff is inviting members of the public to provide written comments and feedback on the proposal by Monday, July 17th, 2017. We encourage you to contact us with any questions or comments you may have.
The following steps include preparing a staff report which will be forwarded to Harbour East Marine Drive Community Council for a public hearing and decision.
Staff have set a date for a Public Information Meeting to be held on Thursday, August 10th from 7 - 9 pm at the Dartmouth North Community Centre (Highfield Room) – 105 Highfield Park Drive. The meeting will begin at 7pm and is open to the public who wish to seek additional information about the proposal and express any comments they may have.
Once a new development agreement is negotiated, staff will complete a report providing a recommendation on whether Harbour East Marine Drive Community Council should consider discharging the existing agreement, and approving the proposed new development agreement.
Prior to any considerations on this matter, Community Council is required to hold a Public Hearing. At that time, an additional opportunity for public feedback directly to Council is provided. Notices of the date, time and location of the Hearing will be advertised for in the future. Please note that Public Hearings are a formal process and the procedures for the meetings are found in Administrative Order One.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted plans required by HRM staff to property evaluate the application. The documents are also available for review at the Planning Applications office in Dartmouth at 40 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth, 2nd Floor.