Application by ZZap Consulting Inc., on behalf of G2J Residential Holdings, to amend the Dartmouth Municipal Planning Strategy to re-designate 246 Waverley Road, and 2 and 4 Montebello Drive to the Waverley Road Mixed-Use Sub-designation. This change would allow for future consideration of a multiple unit dwelling by development agreement.
The Applicant wishes to consolidate three existing residential properties and develop a multiple unit dwelling at the southeast corner of Waverley Road and Montebello Drive (246 Waverley Road, and 2 and 4 Montebello Drive), Dartmouth.
This proposal cannot be considered under existing planning policy; therefore, the Applicant has requested amendments to the Municipal Planning Strategy for Dartmouth (MPS).
Regional Council has directed staff to consider re-designation of the properties from the Waverley Road (WR) Neighbourhood sub-designation and the Residential designation to the Waverley Road (WR) Mixed Use sub-designation. If Regional Council chose to re-designate these properties, Harbour East-Marine Drive Community Council could then consider a multiple unit residential development by development agreement, under the WR Mixed Use sub-designation policies. Policy C-41 states:
“Within the WR Mixed Use sub-designation, Council shall consider multiple unit dwellings … by development agreement in accordance with the provisions of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter. In considering such an agreement, Council shall have regard for the provisions of Policy IP-5, and should use the land use density standards of the R-3 zone as a guide.”
If Regional Council chooses to approve re-designating the site to the WR Mixed Use sub-designation under this application, Harbour East – Marine Drive Community Council would review a proposed development agreement for the development at a later date. That process would require an additional public hearing before a development agreement could be approved.
This application has requested a change to the Dartmouth Municipal Planning Strategy policy. The application process has included:
• August 2016 - Application received from Michael Napier Architects for a 5-storey, 56-unit residential building
• April 25, 2017 – Regional Council directed staff (see item 14.1.9) to begin the planning process, including public consultation. Regional Council’s motion directed staff to consider whether the Waverley Road Mixed-Use sub-designation is appropriate for the site. This means that Council is willing to consider the proposal following staff review and public consultation, but no decision on the proposal has been made.
• September 20, 2017: A public information meeting (PIM) was held at École du Carrefour. If you missed the meeting, we still want to hear from you. Please contact Leah Perrin by phone (902-490-4338) or email with your questions or comments.
• April 2018 - Following a meeting with staff, the applicant submitted a minor revision to their building drawings (for visitor parking) and a letter to further explain the reasons for their proposal. These documents can be found in the “Documents Submitted for Evaluation” section below. ‘
- October 2019 - A revised application was submitted by ZZap Consulting Inc., on behalf of the property owner.
• Regional Council gave First Reading on August 18, 2020. View the staff report.
- The virtual public hearing has been set for Tuesday, September 22, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
- Any member of the public may speak at the public hearing, or submit written comments to Council for consideration. For more information on public hearings, visit the Municipal Clerk’s Office page.
• Following a public hearing, Regional Council may decide on the proposal.
The virtual public hearing will be held on Tuesday, September 22, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant's most recent submission can be viewed in Attachment B of the Staff Report.
The applicant previously submitted material in support of the application, which is posted below.
Documents submitted April 2018:
Letter from Applicant
Revised Architectural Drawings
Original documents submitted:
Site Plan (PDF document)
Traffic Impact Statement