Halifax and West Community Council will hold a public hearing for Case 20894 on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. at Halifax City Hall (Council Chamber), 3rd Floor, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax, NS.
Application by WSP Canada Inc. for substantive amendments to an existing Development Agreement that enables a mixed-use development located at 5511 Bloomfield Street.
The applicant has submitted a request to amend the Existing Development Agreement to:
• Increase the maximum number of residential units permitted from 70 to 95 units;
• Increase the minimum number of units having two or more bedrooms from 22 to 40 units;
• Remove the surface parking lot (16 spaces) and locate all parking underground;
• Construct a four storey addition fronting Almon Street;
• Remove the parking entrance from Almon Street;
• Increase the minimum number of required parking spaces from 70 to 72 spaces;
• Re-locate the outdoor amenity space from the rooftop and second level podium to the fifth floor of the proposed addition;
• Expand the penthouse level to allow three residential units;
• Extend the width of the streetwall along Bloomfield Street (the streetwall is a wall of a building or portion of a wall closest to the street); and
• Extend the building footprint to cover the majority of the lot.
Existing Development Agreement [Case 18254, 2013]
On September 23, 2013, Halifax and West Community Council [HWCC] held a Public Hearing and approved a Development Agreement that enabled an 8 storey mixed-use building at 2776 Gottingen Street, Halifax. The approved Development Agreement with the approved drawings can be found here. Prior to that, HWCC had approved a Land Use By-law amendment that applied a Schedule Q to the subject lands. Schedule Q was established to address the challenge of introducing new residential uses into existing commercial and industrial areas by negotiating the conditions of a development agreement on a site specific basis.
Existing Development Agreement – Permitted Land Use and Conditions:
The existing Agreement allows for the construction of an 8 storey mixed use development. The approved development includes:
• a mixed use commercial and residential building with a maximum of 70 residential dwelling units and approximately 6892 square feet (640.29 sq.m.) of ground level commercial space along Gottingen Street and a portion of Bloomfield Street;
• outdoor amenity space on the second floor podium and the building rooftop;
• a combination of underground and surface parking for a total of 82 parking spaces; and
• two site driveways; one from Bloomfield Street and another from Almon Street.
This application is being considered under the substantive amendment to development agreement process.
This application is subject to public engagement and notification of the type of engagement to be pursued will be placed on this page and mailed to surrounding residents. The day and date, as well as the venue, will be posted on this page once determined.
Future steps include preparing a Staff Report that will be forwarded to Halifax and West Community Council for a decision at a public hearing.
Halifax and West Community Council will hold a public hearing for Case 20894 on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. at Halifax City Hall (Council Chamber), 3rd Floor, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax, NS. Written submissions may be forwarded to the Municipal Clerk by mail, P.O. Box 1749, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 3A5; by fax, 902-490-4208; or by e-mail, email@example.com. Written submissions should be received by the Municipal Clerk’s office as early as possible and not later than 3:00 p.m. on January 23, 2018. For any written submissions exceeding three standard letter sized pages in length, ten copies must be supplied to the Municipal Clerk’s office.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted plans in support of the application. These materials are also available for review at the HRM Planning and Development office in Dartmouth at 40 Alderney Drive, 2nd Floor.