A Public Information Meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 7, 2018 beginning at 7:00 p.m. at Captain William Spry Centre (Multi-Purpose Room), 16 Sussex Street, Halifax, NS
Application by Polycorp LLV Inc. and RV Atlantic Holdings Ltd. for an amendment to the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and amendments to the existing development agreement for Long Lake Village to allow for an increase in the percentage of land area devoted to multi-unit residential uses and changes to the unit mix in order to permit a mixed-use building on Parcel N-3A and changes to the multi-unit residential sites on Parcels N1 and N2, at Cowie Hill Road and Northwest Arm Drive, Halifax.
The changes to the development proposal involve Lots N1, N2 and N3A, at Cowie Hill Road and Northwest Arm Drive *(see map here).
The major aspects of the proposal are as follows:
• to allow an increase in the maximum land area for apartment uses in the overall RDD (Residential Development District) from 15% to approximately 17.5%. This would allow apartment uses presently allowed on Lots N1 and N2 to be extended to Lot N3A which was originally intended for commercial use; and,
• to allow for a single predominant apartment unit type on each of the apartment sites including Lot N3A, as opposed to providing “an emphasis on a mix of dwelling unit types” (including family-type units) as referenced in the MPS. This will result in all or most apartment unit types being smaller units with contemporary amenities and storage spaces typically offered in larger units. This absence of a mandatory unit mix is currently permitted on Lots N1 and N2. The proposed amendments would extend the same conditions to Lot N3A, resulting in a greater number of apartment units overall without exceeding the maximum permitted density.
The major change to land uses as permitted in the development agreement resulting from the requested MPS amendments is:
• Lot N3A would change from a 2-storey, 4,000 square foot commercial building to a 6-storey mixed-use building containing approximately 6,250 square feet of commercial uses and approximately 55 residential units.
Additional proposed changes to the development agreement which are enabled under existing MPS policies are:
• Allowing commercial uses on the ground floor of buildings on Lots N1 and N2;
• Reducing the parking space dimensions for a portion of the required parking spaces on all apartment sites to account for small vehicles;
• Clarification of building heights in terms of number of storeys and in relation to structured parking levels;
• Clarification of the design treatment of blank foundation walls;
• Removal of requirement for building height / setbacks (“angle controls”) from North West Arm Drive; and
• An extension to the date of completion of the development.
The application will be considered under the MPS Amendment & Development Agreement process.
A Public Information Meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 7, 2018 beginning at 7:00 p.m. at Captain William Spry Centre (Multi-Purpose Room), 16 Sussex Street, Halifax, NS.
Regional Council initiated the MPS Amendment process on February 13, 2018. A link to the staff report can be found here.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted plans and studies required by HRM staff to properly evaluate the application. The documents are also available for review at the Planning Applications office in Downtown Dartmouth.