On August 6, 2019, Halifax and West Community Council (HWCC) approved a development agreement to allow a mixed-use building, containing a variety of uses including commercial, office and residential uses on Quinpool Road and Pepperell Street, near Preston Street (6290, 6298, 6300, and 6302 Quinpool Road, 6325 and 6331 Pepperell Street), Halifax. The development agreement is for a 9-storey building facing Quinpool Road, with a 6-storey midblock section and a 3.5-storey section facing Pepperell Street.
WSP, on behalf of Façade Investments Ltd., is applying to amend the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-Law to enable a 9 storey mixed-use residential/commercial development on Quinpool Road, and 6 storey section mid-block and a 3.5 storey section facing Pepperell Street.
View the site on Google Maps
The applicant wishes to develop a 9-storey building. The major features of the proposal are:
• Over 70 apartments in a nine-storey building on Quinpool Road
• Ground floor commercial uses facing Quinpool Road
• A two storey streetwall facing Quinpool Road
• 6 units in a three-storey section facing Pepperell Street
The following documents provide information about the proposal:
These documents are also available for review at the Planning Applications office at 40 Alderney Drive in Downtown Dartmouth.
The application is a request for new planning policy. Before Regional Council can make any decision about the proposal, a Public Hearing must be held.
• On January 16, 2018, Regional Council directed staff to begin a process to consider new planning policy.
• On May 7, 2018, the Halifax Peninsula Planning Advisory Committee and Municipal Planning staff hosted a public meeting. The presentations from that meeting are below.
• Regional Council gave first reading to the proposed Municipal Planning Strategy and Land Use By-law amendments.
• Halifax West Community Council considered the proposed development agreement on June 11, 2019. View the staff report.
• A public hearing was held on July 16, 2019 and Regional Council approved the new Municipal Planning Strategy policy to consider a development agreement (legal contract) for the subject site.
• A public hearing has been scheduled for August 6, 2019 and Halifax and West Community Council review and make a decision on the proposed development agreement (legal contract) which would enable the proposed development. View the agenda.
On August 6, 2019, Halifax and West Community Council (HWCC) approved a development agreement to allow the proposed development. Any aggrieved person, the Provincial Director of Planning, or the Council of any adjoining municipality may, within fourteen days of publishing the notice of this approval (notice will be published in the Chronicle Herald on Saturday August 10, 2019), appeal to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board (902-424-4448) in accordance with the provisions of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter
View the latest Halifax and West Community Council staff report on this proposal.
View the latest Regional Council staff report on this proposal.
View the latest building drawings.