UPLAND Urban Planning and Design Studio is applying for amendments to an existing development agreement at 771 and 773 Bedford Highway, Bedford.
The applicant is proposing to apply the CGB (General Business District) Zone permitted commercial uses to the subject property including expanding them to the remaining Motel use while relocating the motel use to a modular motel. The Bedford Municipal Planning Strategy provides policy that allows Community Council to consider CGB Zone uses on the property through a development agreement process. The major aspects of the proposal are as follows:
- Permit General Business District (CGB) Zone uses to bring the development agreement in line with the underlying zoning;
- Permit the full conversion of the Esquire Motel site to commercial uses to create additional small commercial spaces;
- Permit a removable “module” hotel to the rear of the Esquire site having 45 hotel units located in custom-built “modules” with the same dimensions as shipping containers;
- Permit a removable “module” commercial complex on the northwest end of the site located in custom built modules with the same dimensions as shipping containers;
- Permit new accessory buildings to allow for limited storage space for things such as excess stock, recyclable materials, and restaurant supplies;
- Enable subdivision of the property to place the Esquire Motel on its own lot with approximately 165 metres of street frontage and 1.4 hectares of lot area;
- Update the site plan to remove the “house” from in front of the former Travelers Motel to reflect the fact that the “house” has been demolished; and
- Allow expansion of the northwest parking area.
The Development Plans (provided below) outline the development proposal in detail, and include information related to proposed buildings, parking locations, signage, driveway access, and landscaping.
The application will be considered under the development agreement process.
This application was considered by the North West Planning Advisory Committee at a meeting on Wednesday, September 1, 2021. View the minutes and a recording of the meeting.
Municipal staff are currently writing a draft amending development agreement and a staff report. The next step in the process is First Reading at North West Community Council.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted plans and studies required by municipal staff to properly evaluate the application. The relevant documents are linked below but may also be alternatively provided either by email or regular mail by making this request to the planner listed below.