Application by Zwicker Zareski Architecture & Planning, on behalf of BANC Investments Limited, to amend the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Halifax Mainland Land Use By-law to allow for a minor increase in the building height allowances in Area A of the Plan Dutch Village Road area and to consider a 12-storey mixed-use building at 3514 Joseph Howe Drive, Halifax by development agreement.
The applicant is seeking amendments to the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS) and Halifax Mainland Land Use By-law (LUB) (Attachment A) as follows:
• to allow for an increase in the maximum building height beyond 37.5 metres (within “Area A” of the Plan Dutch Village Road area of the Fairview Secondary Plan Area) in order to accommodate non-habitable rooftop building features not exceeding one storey in height, such as elevator and staircase enclosures, mechanical penthouses, architectural features and amenity space, without exceeding 12 storeys of habitable floor space overall; and
• to allow for increases in the maximum streetwall heights from 16.5 metres to 18.5 metres on Joseph Howe Drive and from 13.5 metres to 15.5 metres on Dutch Village Road (within “Area A” of the Plan Dutch Village Road area of the Fairview Secondary Plan Area) in order to accommodate ground-level grade issues and podium rooftop features such as parapets, without exceeding a streetwall / podium height of 5 storeys of habitable floor space.
The proposed MPS and LUB amendments to increase the streetwall height and maximum building height would enable the development agreement process to be considered concurrently by the Halifax and West Community Council (HWCC) for a mixed-use development including:
• a 5-storey building podium containing approximately 2,137 square metres (23,000 square feet) of ground-floor commercial uses, and multi-unit residential uses above the ground-floor;
• two 7-storey residential tower components above the building podium, with an overall height of 12 storeys and a total of 324 residential units (approx.);
• approximately 360 underground parking spaces on two levels, and 50 ground-level parking spaces behind the commercial uses for a total of 410 parking spaces; and
• extensive landscaped areas on the rooftops of the base and tower portions of the building and ground-level landscaping along the site’s perimeter.
A Public Information Meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 7:00pm at the Centennial Arena meeting room, 27 Vimy Avenue, Halifax.
Regional Council initiated the MPS Amendment process on Tuesday, April 2, 2019. A link to the staff report can be found here.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted plans and studies required by HRM staff to properly evaluate the application. The documents are also available for review at the Planning Applications office in Downtown Dartmouth.