Application by WM Fares Architects to discharge an existing development agreement and enter into a new development agreement on two residential properties located at Civic 50, 60 and 70 Armstrong Court, Halifax to allow a 7-storey addition to an existing multi-unit residential building at 60-70 Armstrong Court.
The proposal is to enable a 7-storey addition to the eastern end of an existing multi-unit residential building at 60 & 70 Armstrong Court. The building shares a parking lot and landscaped area with the adjacent building at Civic #50. The existing buildings were approved by development agreement in 1992/ ‘93.
The major aspects of the proposal are as follows:
• Approximately 75 additional dwelling units, of which 70% will be 2 bedrooms or more, which results in a total of 275 units combined in both buildings;
• A minimum of 58 additional underground parking spaces and approximately 46 surface parking spaces to replace 78 existing surface spaces. Therefore, there will be a net gain of approximately 26 spaces or more, for a total of 293 spaces;
• Exterior building materials to include masonry veneer at the parking podium level, non-combustible siding, architectural panels, vinyl windows and other glazing systems;
• Existing outdoor amenity area to be maintained for tenant use in its present state or better;
• Replacement of trees removed from the area of the addition with new trees; and
• Indoor amenity space of 1,200 sq. ft. minimum.
The application will be considered under the Development Agreement amendment process.
A staff report has been prepared and will be on the agenda of an upcoming meeting of the Halifax and West Community Council. Council must hold a public hearing before considering whether to approve a development agreement.
Information postcards were be mailed to neighbouring residents in January of 2019, seeking feedback on the proposal.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted plans and studies required by municipal staff to properly evaluate the application. The documents are also available for review at the Planning Applications office in Downtown Dartmouth.