A public information meeting (PIM) will be held on Thursday, June 6, 2019 beginning at 7:00 p.m. at Halifax Forum (Maritime Hall), 2901 Windsor Street, Halifax, NS.
APL Properties Ltd. is applying to enter into a Development Agreement at 6009 – 6017 Quinpool Road, Halifax to allow a 25-storey mixed-use building and to amend the Halifax Peninsula Land Use Bylaw to reflect Housing Nova Scotia’s process regarding possible affordable housing units.
In June 2018, Regional Council amended the Quinpool Road Commercial Area Plan of the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and the Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law to allow for a 25-storey mixed use building at 6009 – 6017 Quinpool Road. Policies 2.10 to 2.10.4 of the Quinpool Road Commercial Area Plan were created to guide development of the site and allow development to occur by Development Agreement.
Pursuant to Policies 2.10 to 2.10.4, the applicant wishes to enter into a Development Agreement to allow a mixed-use building at the corner of Quinpool Road and Robie Street, Halifax. The major aspects of the proposal are as follows:
• A 25-storey building with commercial uses at the ground floor
• Two underground levels of parking containing 93 underground parking spaces
• A maximum of 288 units with over 50% two or more bedrooms
• Approximately 10,803 square feet of ground floor commercial space
• Amenity space including landscaped public terraces, indoor communal room, a party room, and private terraces or balconies
• A total of 307 bicycle parking spaces
• A public benefit in the form of ten (10) affordable housing units and either undergrounding of electric and utility wires or $900,000 (as the contribution for an additional ten (10) affordable hosing units.
The development plans (provided below) outline the proposal in detail, and include information related to the proposed building design, access and parking, servicing, traffic impacts, and wind impacts.
In addition, a Land Use By-law amendment is required to align the requirements of the affordable housing provisions with Housing Nova Scotia’s processes.
The application will be considered under the Development Agreement Process.
Currently this application is at the review team stage of the process where the request is reviewed by internal municipal staff from Development Engineering [including Traffic Services], Building Standards, Development Officer [By-laws], and Fire Protection Services as well as externally by Halifax Water and Housing Nova Scotia.
A public information meeting (PIM) will be held on Thursday, June 6, 2019 beginning at 7:00 p.m. at Halifax Forum (Maritime Hall), 2901 Windsor Street, Halifax, NS. At this meeting, a presentation will be given outlining the proposal with municipal staff and the applicant in attendance to answer questions and receive feedback.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted plans and studies required by municipal staff to properly evaluate the application. The documents are also available for review at the Planning Applications office in Downtown Dartmouth.