Anchorage at Dartmouth Cove Property Development Inc. has applied for a Stage 2 Development Agreement to permit a 26-storey building on lands at 50 Kings Wharf Place, Dartmouth.
50 King’s Wharf Place is located within the Regional Centre (“Centre Plan”) Plan Area.
Read the Regional Centre Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS) and Land Use By-law here.
Policy 3.9 of the Regional Centre MPS creates the King’s Wharf Special Area, which includes 50 King’s Wharf Place. Policy 3.9 says:
- Development agreements or amendments to development agreements for King’s Wharf that have been received by the Municipality on or before September 5, 2029, may be considered by Council in accordance with the policies in effect at the time Council provides notice of intention to adopt this Plan.
This means that this application will be considered under the policies of the Downtown Dartmouth Secondary Planning Strategy (SPS) that were in place in August of 2019, before Regional Council gave notice to adopt the Regional Centre MPS. You can see this version of the Downtown Dartmouth SPS here.
Downtown Dartmouth Secondary Planning Strategy
The Downtown Dartmouth SPS sets up a two-step process for development on what it calls the Dartmouth Marine Slips property, which includes 50 King’s Wharf Place. The first step is the Stage 1 Development Agreement, which must be approved by the Harbour East Marine Drive Community Council (HEMDCC) after a public hearing. HEMDCC approved the Stage 1 Development Agreement on February 6, 2020.
Read the Staff Report and the Stage 1 Development Agreement approved by HEMDCC here.
Once the Stage 1 Development Agreement is in place, the property owner can apply for a Stage 2 Development Agreement to approve individual building design, in accordance with any requirements in the Stage 1 Agreement. Stage 2 Development Agreements do not require a public hearing before HEMDCC may consider them.
Stage 1 Development Agreement
In this case, the Stage 1 Development Agreement permits the following*:
- Maximum of 1,146 residential units inclusive of work-live units;
- 27,421 square meters of commercial uses, including temporary uses, fabrication retail, marina uses, space within work-live units, and excluding adult entertainment uses, billboards, industrial uses, and obnoxious uses;
- Two marinas;
- Park and open space uses;
- Temporary uses specified in the Agreement; and
- Accessory uses to the foregoing.
*Clause 3.3.1 of the Stage 1 Development Agreement*
This development would take place over several phases of build-out.
The Stage 1 Development Agreement does not permit any construction. A Stage 2 Development Agreement is always required.
This Proposal - Stage 2 Development Agreement
This application is for Lot E on the Stage 1 Development Agreement and proposes one new building with the following features:
- 26 floors (81 metres);
- 205 dwelling units;
- 6,006 square metres of gross commercial floor area;
- 237 underground parking spaces;
- 98 Class A bicycle parking spaces;
- 25 Class B bicycle parking spaces;
- 1,842 square metres of outdoor (terrace) amenity space; and
- 2,100 square metres of indoor amenity space
The development plans provided below include information on the design of the proposed building.
The application will be considered under the Stage 2 Development Agreement process.
The application is undergoing a detailed review by municipal staff and relevant external review agencies. After these reviews are complete, the Planner will write a draft development agreement and a recommendation report for HEMDCC.
The HEMDCC will ultimately decide whether to approve or deny the application based on the criteria in Policies W-9 and W-9B the Downtown Dartmouth SPS and on its evaluation of the proposal’s conformity with the intent of the Stage 1 Development Agreement.
The subject site is located in District 5 – Dartmouth Centre.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted information required for municipal staff to evaluate the application and provide a recommendation to Harbour East-Marine Drive Community Council. You can view this information by clicking on the link below.