A virtual joint public hearing will be held by Regional Council and Halifax & West Community Council on Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. to consider the proposal. See the Status section below for details on how to participate in the public hearing.
Application by Seton Ridge Holdings Limited requesting amendments to the existing development agreements for lands known as Seton Ridge located on Seton Road, Bedford Highway and Lacewood Drive, Halifax.
‘Seton Ridge’ is a 73 acre high-density, mixed-use neighbourhood on the former Sisters of Charity ‘Motherhouse’ lands in Halifax. The Seton Ridge site is located off Bedford Highway, to the west of Mount St. Vincent University, and has street frontage on Lacewood Drive at the southern end of the site. The approved development includes approximately 3,000 residential and assisted-living units within a mix of multi-unit and low-density buildings together with a range of commercial uses and three public parks. At full build out, the proposed neighbourhood is expected to contain approximately 7,000 residents.
Two development agreements were approved by Halifax and West Community Council on August 7, 2018 comprising lands of the Sisters of Charity (now Seton Ridge Holdings Limited) and Shannex SC Limited (Case 19514).
The proposed amendments to the development agreement by Seton Ridge Holdings Limited for Case 22896 are being consolidated with Case 23746. Some of the proposed amendments are moving forward, while others have been withdrawn. The proposed amendments under Case 22896 are as follows:
• Request Withdrawn: Heat Source for Seton Road – the agreement currently allows for the steep portion of Seton Road to be heated from underneath, with the source of the heat being the Mount St. Vincent University heat plant. The proposed amendment (to Schedule C7 of the agreement) is to allow for an alternative source of heat in the form of a stand-alone heat plant to be located within the future HRM-owned Seton Road right-of-way, adjacent to the street.
• Maximum of 200 metres between intersections - the agreement currently requires that local streets within Seton Ridge have a maximum length of 200 metres between intersections. The proposal seeks to eliminate this requirement and, instead, rely on the HRM Municipal Design Guidelines (Red Book) street standards which stipulate a 500 metre distance.
• Request Withdrawn: Active Transportation trail grade – proposed amendment to Schedule C7 of the agreement to allow for the reduction of the overall grade of the AT pathway which will run alongside Seton Road as much as possible from the adjacent road slope.
• Request Withdrawn: Earthwork/blasting clarification – proposed amendment to allow the developer to commence clearing, excavation and blasting activities required for grading and installation of municipal services prior to the Developer receiving full design approval.
• Request Withdrawn: Building construction prior to final road approval - proposed amendment to allow up to three multi-unit buildings to be constructed within the Neighbourhood Centre prior to final subdivision approval.
• Parking structure prohibition within 20 metres of a collector road - proposed amendment to allow portions of buildings with underground or partly above-ground parking garages to be located within 20 metres of the road right-of-way with conditions. These portions of structures were not intended to be prohibited. Proposal is to add a definition of ‘parking structure’ in the agreement.
• Agreement definitions and additional requested changes – proposal to add definitions to the agreement that currently exist in the Land Use (zoning) By-law, including "Height", "Street Line", “Streetline Grade”, “Streetwall” , “Streetwall Height”. Also, to add definitions of “Roof” and “Penthouse” to the agreement. Proposed allowance for height exemptions and calculations for rooftop mechanical and other building features and sloping conditions. Proposed modifications to requirements for landscaped strips along the side yards of residential dwellings.
The application will be considered under the Substantive Amendments to Development Agreement process.
A virtual public hearing will be held on Tuesday, February 8, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. All oral and written submissions will be considered at that time. This meeting will occur in a virtual setting and attending in person is not possible. Given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, written submissions are welcomed and encouraged in advance of the hearing. These submissions are distributed to all Councillors and considered at the time of their decision. Written submissions may be forwarded to the Municipal Clerk by e-mail, by fax, 902.490.4208; or by mail, P.O. Box 1749, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3J 3A5. Written submissions must be received by the Municipal Clerk’s office as early as possible and not later than 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 8, 2022. Please allow sufficient time for delivery given slower than typical mail delivery times during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
The virtual public hearing will be webcast and may be viewed online. For individuals seeking to speak at the hearing, members of the public may contact the Municipal Clerk’s office no later than 4:30 p.m. on Monday, February 7, 2022 to be added to the speaker's list to speak by telephone. We encourage all residents who have any desire to speak at the meeting to ask to have their name added to the list. Individuals who do not want to speak at a later time may ask to have their name removed from the speaker's list.
To be placed on the speaker's list:
• Send an email; or
• Call and leave a voicemail at 902.490.4210; or
• Send a fax to the clerk at 902.490.4208.
In your message, please include the meeting body (Regional Council), the planning Case number (Case 23746 & 22896) or civic address, in addition to your name, your community of residence, email address, and telephone number. Should you have questions about the nature of the application itself, please contact:
Case 23746 & 22896 – email planner Paul Sampson directly or call 902.717.8125.
Should you have questions about the process of the virtual public hearing, please contact the Municipal Clerks Office by email or call 902.490.4210. View the most recent staff report. If you have questions about how to access the staff report email the Office of the Municipal Clerk or call 902.490.4210
Case 22896 is being consolidated with Case 23746 (MPS and DA amendments), which was initiated by Regional Council on October 19, 2021. View the staff report.
A virtual public information meeting using Microsoft Teams was held on Thursday, June 10, 2021 to discuss the application. View the public information meeting staff presentation. View the applicant presentation for the public information meeting.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted plans and studies required by municipal staff to properly evaluate the application.
The original staff report for Seton Ridge from 2018 can be found here.
For further information, please contact: