WSP Canada Inc., on behalf of property owner Clayton Park Holdings Inc., is applying to amend an existing development agreement for 278 Lacewood Drive (PID 00345033), Halifax.
Existing Development Agreement -
The existing Development Agreement (DA) was originally approved by the Council of the Halifax Regional Municipality in 1996 and permitted the construction of the Clayton Park Shopping Centre on the site. After the DA was approved, all matters aside from the new permitted use continued to be controlled by the C-2 (General Business) Zone standards of the Halifax Mainland Land Use By-law.
The applicant has requested an amendment to the development agreement to allow a new commercial building on the northeast portion of the site and to make some changes to the permitted built form on the remainder of the Clayton Park Shopping Centre site. The major aspects of the proposal are as follows:
• Would permit a new lot and a new commercial building on the northeast portion of the site;
• The amended DA would apply to the new lot and the remaining site, including the Clayton Park Shopping Centre;
• Changes to permitted building placement and envelope, including reducing the required setback from existing residential uses on Harlington Crescent;
• These changes would also affect future renovations or expansions of the Clayton Park Shopping Centre;
• Maximum permitted height for both the new building and any future additions to the existing shopping centre would be 35 feet; and
• Reductions to vehicle parking requirements for both the new building and the existing shopping centre are being considered.
The Development Plans (provided below) outline the development proposal in detail, and include information relating to the proposed use and built form on both the requested new lot and the remainder of existing site.
The application is undergoing a detailed review by municipal staff and relevant external review agencies. After these reviews are complete, the Planner will write a draft amending agreement and a recommendation report for Halifax and West Community Council (HWCC).
HWCC will decide whether to approve or deny the application based on the policy criteria of the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy.
The subject site is located in District 10 (Halifax – Bedford Basin West).
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted plans and studies required by municipal staff to properly evaluate the application.
1. Applicant Submissions – this consolidated document includes the following:
o Planning Rationale and description of the requested amendments;
o Existing Development Agreement;
o Traffic Impact Statement;
o Parking Study;
o Servicing Plan;
o Proposed Site Plan; and
o A drawing of the desired subdivision;
2. Consolidated Easements