Thank you to everyone who provided feedback. Staff are now drafting the amending development agreement.
Michael Napier Architecture Inc., on behalf of the property owner, has asked to make changes to an existing development agreement for a mixed-use development.
In 2018, Harbour East – Marine Drive Community Council approved an application to enter into a development agreement with the property owner to permit a mixed-use development on the lands between Marketplace Drive and the Halifax Harbour. The applicant wishes to make changes to this existing development agreement. The changes to the agreement the applicant is asking for include:
- Increasing the allowable population density across Phases 3-5
- Replacing an office building with a 172-unit residential building (Phase 6)
- Replacing a hotel with a 175-unit residential building (Phase 7)
- Allowing the 2-storey restaurant in Phase 8 to be a use other than a restaurant and providing additional clarification on the size of the building
- Increasing the streetwall setback
- Allowing for a range in the streetwall height rather than a set height
- Allowing for a 20% exemption to the Maximum Floor Plate Area requirement
- Defining Building Depth
The Development Plans (provided below) outline the development proposal in detail, and include information related to the requested amendments, a review of the relevant planning policies, the phasing plan, a traffic impact statement, and wastewater servicing capacity study.
The application will be considered under the Substantive Amendment process.
This application was reviewed by internal municipal staff from Development Engineering [including Traffic Services], Civic Addressing, Parkland Planning, Transit, Parking Services, and Energy and Environment, as well as externally by Halifax Water, Nova Scotia Power Inc., and Halifax Regional Centre for Education.
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback during the public consultation period (June 30, 2022 – July 26, 2022). We heard from three people.
Municipal staff will draft the amendments to the development agreement and write a staff report for review by Harbour East – Marine Drive Community Council. Should Community Council wish to consider the proposal, a public hearing will be scheduled. The public hearing is an opportunity for you to share your opinion about the application to Community Council.
Documents Submitted for Evaluation
The applicant has submitted plans and studies required by municipal staff to properly evaluate the application. The relevant documents are linked below.