The Halifax Regional Municipality has taken a proactive approach to converting buildings to using natural gas. Some municipal facilities that use natural gas include:
- Dartmouth Sportsplex
- Canada Games Centre
- BMO Centre
- Halifax Metro Centre
- Cole Harbour Place Recreation Centre
What are the benefits of natural gas?
There are many environmental and economic benefits for converting government facilities to natural gas.
- dramatic reduction in emissions with cleaner-burning natural gas
- reduction in the environmental liabilities associated with oil tanks and spills, in particular with larger facilities that had aging underground oil storage tanks
- the municipality has converted more than 20 buildings to natural gas and is saving more than a million dollars each year in energy costs
- the municipality has avoided replacement costs of underground and aboveground oil tanks and infrastructure with each gas conversion
- as a typical conversion includes a high efficiency condensing gas boilers, buildings burn less overall fuel to generate the same amount of heat in the buildings
- because larger facilities are converted to natural gas, Heritage Gas has an anchor in many neighbourhoods to enable wider gas distribution to the community