Due to COVID-19, there will be no school or group bookings for the Emera Oval in Winter 2020/2021.
School skating trips to the Emera Oval
Bring your school group to the Emera Oval for skating events at any time of the year. To book a group visit, email to confirm a date and time.
Should your group have to cancel, try to provide as much advanced notice as possible to ensure other groups can attend. In the event of inclement weather, check the skating calendar or call the Emera Oval hotline at 902.490.2347 to check the Emera Oval is still open. Reasons for cancellation might include ice conditions, storm days (schools are closed), weather, temperatures, or rain.
Safety precautions for school visits:
- All students under 12 must wear CSA-approved, multi-impact helmets in the winter. All users must wear helmets in the summer. Bicycle helmets are okay for summer skating, but not acceptable for winter activities.
- Chaperones and teachers are required to accompany students while on and off the Emera Oval surface.
- Skates and helmets can be borrowed at the Emera Oval, but are limited and cannot be reserved in advance. Students should bring their own equipment whenever possible.
Planning your visit to the Oval:
- There is no parking on site at the Emera Oval. Buses can drop off and pick up students on Cogswell Street (Westbound). Buses cannot enter the Emera Oval site.
- When you arrive, check in at the office with the name of your school and the number of students attending, then proceed to benches and or line up for skates/helmets.
- Don’t enter the ice until the announcements have been made, the ice resurfacer has left the ice, and the skate monitors open the gates
Special rules for winter school visits:
The following are prohibited while on the ice surface:
• carrying children (including baby carriers or strollers)
• using mp3 players, cell phones, or hand-held electronic devices
• eating or drinking
• inappropriate behaviour and language
• rough play, speed skating (in a crouched position), and reckless skating
• hockey sticks
Read more general rules and guidelines for the Emera Oval.