A man faces two charges of attempted murder in relation to a shooting that occurred in Dartmouth on January 10, 2012.
At 9:25 p.m., Halifax Regional Police received a call of several gun shots in the area of Churchill Court in Dartmouth. Two vehicles, one car and a pickup truck, fled the area. Several bullet casings were located in the parking lot of Churchill Court. Police later responded to the hospital, located a car with damaged windows parked outside and determined the victims had driven themselves to the hospital. Two men in their early twenties suffered non-life threatening injuries in the incident.
Twenty-one-year-old Matthew Randall Smith of Dartmouth was arrested at the Central Nova Scotia Correctional Facility today at 9:30 a.m. by investigators in the Halifax Regional Police/RCMP Integrated General Investigation Section. He is scheduled to appear in Dartmouth Provincial Court on Monday to face the following twenty charges:
- Section 239(1)(a) CC - Attempted Murder While Using Certain Firearm (two counts)
- Section 244 CC - Discharge Firearm with the Intent to Endanger Life or Safety of Another Person (two counts)
- Section 244.2(1)(b) CC - Discharge a Restricted Firearm While Being Reckless as to the Life or Safety of Another Person (two counts)
- Section 86(1) CC - Careless Use of a Firearm
- Section 86(2) CC - Unsafe Handling
- Section 87 (1) CC - Pointing a Firearm (two counts)
- Section 88(1) CC - Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose
- Section 92(1) CC - Possession of a Weapon Knowing it is Unauthorized
- Section 95(1)(b) CC - Possession of a Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
- Section 96(a) CC - Possession of Weapon Obtained by Commission of Offence
- Section 117.01(1) CC - Possession of a Weapon While Prohibited (two counts)
- Section 267(a) CC - Assault with a Weapon (two counts)
Smith faces additional charges of breaching his probation.