A man faces charges after he was found in possession of a loaded handgun.
On June 19 at 4:40 p.m., officers assigned to the West Quick Response Unit observed a man walking on a path leading from Dawn Street to Lacewood Drive in Halifax. Officers recognized the man as being on court imposed conditions and arrested him for breaching his house arrest. Officers searched the man and recovered a loaded handgun, a knife and a quantity of cocaine.
Forty-five-year-old Darren Donald Burke is being held in custody and faces the following charges:
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose x2
- Carrying a concealed weapon x2
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized
- Possession of a prohibited firearm with ammunition
- Possession of a firearm with an altered serial number
- Possession of a firearm contrary to order
- Breach of recognizance x4
- Possession of cocaine