Investigators in the Integrated General Investigation Section of the Criminal Investigation Division have charged a third man in relation to a shooting that occurred on August 9 in Halifax.
On August 9 at approximately 12:35 a.m. police responded to a report of possible gun shots in the area of Spring Garden Road and Dresden Row in Halifax. Officers arrived on scene and confirmed that a shooting had taken place. Shortly after the initial call, at 12:40 a.m., officers located and arrested two male suspects inside Royal Artillery Park in Halifax. A Police Service Dog conducted a track and located a handgun inside Royal Artillery Park.
At 1:20 a.m. that same night police were advised that a 27-year-old male victim, with a non-life-threatening gun shot wound, had arrived at the QEII Hospital.
Jayree Vontaze Downey, 18, of Dartmouth appeared in court today to face the following charges in relation to this incident:
- Possession of a weapon for dangerous purpose contrary to Section 88(1) of the criminal code
- Carrying a concealed weapon contrary to Section 90(1) of the criminal code
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm contrary to Section 91(1) of the criminal code
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized contrary to Section 92(1) of the criminal code
- Possession of a firearm knowing the serial number has been tampered contrary to Section 108(1)(b) of the criminal code
- Possession of a loaded firearm contrary to Section 95(1) of the criminal code
- Resist arrest contrary to Section 129(a) of the criminal code
- Attempt murder contrary to Section 239 of the criminal code
- Accessory after the fact contrary to Section 463(a) of the criminal code
Police are asking anyone with information about this incident to call police at 902-490-5020. Anonymous tips can be sent to Crime Stoppers by calling toll-free 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), submitting a secure web tip at www.crimestoppers.ns.ca or by using the P3 Tips app.