Halifax Regional Police are reminding people to not leave valuables in parked vehicles.
Last month, Halifax Regional Police received 115 reports of thefts from vehicles with a number related to vehicles parked in parkades.
Whether you’re parked in a driveway, parkade, parking lot or on the street, following a few simple steps may make your vehicle less attractive to would-be thieves:
- Always lock your vehicle, even when parked in your driveway or garage.
- Make sure to take your wallet/purse with you when you leave your vehicle.
- Never leave valuables in your vehicle, especially in plain view.
- Don’t leave your garage opener in your vehicle.
- Consider leaving outside lights or motion sensors on during the night.
- If possible, park in well-lit, well-traveled areas.
The investigations into these incidents are ongoing and we encourage anyone who has had property stolen from their vehicle to report it to police. If your license plate is stolen, report it to police immediately.
Anyone who observes suspicious activity in or around parked vehicles, such as someone pulling on door handles, should call police immediately at 490-5020. Anonymous tips can be sent to Crime Stoppers by calling toll-free 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), submitting a secure web tip at www.crimestoppers.ns.ca or by using the P3 Tips app.