Monday, June 2, 2014 (Halifax, NS) – Whether it’s freeing up space in the house, or finding something great for free, residents won’t want to miss the Curbside Give Away Weekend on Saturday, June 7 and Sunday, June 8.
This free-for-all helps the environment by reducing the number of unwanted items that end up in landfills. It’s also an opportunity for residents to get out in their community, meet their neighbours and find some cool new additions for their home.
Every year the Halifax Regional Municipality holds two official Curbside Give Away Weekend events – one in the spring during Environment Week and the other in the fall during Waste Reduction Week.
The Curbside Give Away is a voluntary event. The following are a few simple steps for residents to follow if they choose to participate:
• Place reusable household items at the curb in front of your home on the evening of Friday, June 6.
• Place only the items you wish to give away at the curb and make sure to include “FREE” stickers or signs on the items.
• Avoid taking items from the curb that aren’t labelled “FREE.”
• Residents who live in apartment or condominium buildings can take part but should make sure to get permission from their landlord first and ask where to place items.
• Remove leftover items from the curb by dusk on Sunday, June 8.
• Consider donating any unclaimed items to a charitable organization. You can find a list of reputable local groups online atwww.halifax.ca/curbside.
• Remember to place any garbage at the curb on your regular garbage day and week. Regular limits and preparation will be enforced.
Not sure what to place at the curb? Here are some examples of used goods from previous years: books, CDs and DVDs, furniture and small appliances, sports equipment, toys, tools and construction materials.
For a list of unacceptable items and more details on the event, please visit www.halifax.ca/curbside.
Residents are encouraged to share their photos and stories from the Curbside Give Away via social media. On Twitter, use the hashtag #hfxcurbside. Residents can also post on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HalifaxRecycles.
The Curbside Give Away happens rain or shine. Residents should use their own discretion when deciding whether to put items at the curb.