Tuesday, Mar. 17, 2015 (Halifax, NS) – Halifax residents and visitors alike are encouraged to get out to the Emera Oval before the winter skating season wraps up this weekend.
To celebrate one of the region’s most popular outdoor facilities for people of all ages, the following ‘Top 10’ list features highlights from this season at the Emera Oval:
10. Family Frozen Day event held on March 1 featured special appearances by Anna and Elsa, characters from the popular Disney movie Frozen.
9. New Year’s Eve celebrations the whole family could enjoy included public skates, an onsite DJ, and two fireworks shows throughout the day and evening.
8. Wild winter weather since the skating season began on Dec. 18, 2014, resulted in seven full-day and six partial-day closures, for a total of 86 days of operation so far this season.
7. Canadian Tire’s ‘I Love to Skate’ program provided free onsite ice skating lessons for children, youth, families, adults and seniors, supporting the municipality’s efforts to increase free access to recreation opportunities for residents of all ages.
6. Designs are complete and construction on the new permanent building at the Emera Oval is set to get underway later this month, once the snow has melted and the skating season wraps up. We anticipate the new building to be complete and ready in time for the next winter skating season.
5. 15th Scotiabank Hockey Day in Canada celebration on February 14 included a live, national broadcast hosted by Ron MacLean. Hockey clinics, Valentine’s Day jersey skate, first-ever shinny tournament, and special guest appearances by Darcy Tucker, Guy Carbonneau, and the Stanley Cup!
4. New Family Skates were introduced on Sunday mornings to provide designated public skating time for families, including those with strollers, as long as CSA approved helmets are worn by children under 12.
3. Attendance for the 2014/15 winter season estimated at 122,000 visitors! Enough said.
2. Free admission + free skate and helmet rentals for youth and adults = free access to exercise and fun for the whole family!
1. Still six days left to lace up before the Emera Oval closes for the winter skating season. The ice was originally set to close on Friday, March 20 but due to unseasonably cold temperatures, we've added bonus skates on Saturday night and Sunday morning, weather permitting. Get out for a skate today!
For a schedule of remaining winter public skating events, visit www.halifax.ca/skatehrm.
Thank you to all residents for making this winter season at the Emera Oval a success. We look forward to welcoming you at the facility again for the summer skating season. Stay tuned to @SkateHRM on Twitter or SkateHRM on Facebook for details of the summer skating season and progress on the construction of the new permanent building, which will become available over the next few months.
- 30 -