A woman faces prostitution charges after two searches in HRM this past Friday by the HRP/RCMP Integrated Vice Unit.
In early January, Vice investigators commenced an investigation regarding a woman who procured an underage girl for the purpose of prostitution. The investigation led officers to conduct two searches on February 21, one at a residence in the 0-100 block of Valentine Lane in Pockwock and the other at an apartment in the 0-100 block of Evans Avenue in Halifax. Officers arrested a woman and seized computer equipment at the Valentine Lane residence.
Thirty-six-year-old Florence Muriel Young has been charged with the following offences:
- Procuring for prostitution a person under the age of 18
- Knowingly concealing a person under the age of 18 in a bawdy house
- Exercising control over a person under the age of 18
- Living off the avails of prostitution of a person under the age of 18
- Counseling a person under the age of 18 to engage in prostitution
- Householder permitting sexual activity
- Internet luring for the purposes of prostitution x2
- Sexual exploitation of a young person
- Breach of recognizance x3
- Breach or probation x2
She was held in custody this weekend and will appear in Halifax Provincial Court today.
Investigators believe that there may be more victims and urge anyone with information about this case or underage prostitution to contact police at 490-5016. Anonymous tips can be sent to Crime Stoppers by calling toll-free 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), submitting a secure web tip at www.crimestoppers.ns.ca or texting a tip - Tip 202 + your message to 274637.