1. CALL TO ORDER
2. SPECIAL COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Committee of the Whole December 6 and 14, 2016 & Regional Council December 6 , 13 and 14, 2016
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
7. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
8. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
9. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
10. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
11. PUBLIC HEARING – 6:00 P.M.
11.1 Case 19531 – Amendments to the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-Law for the northern corner of Young Street and Windsor Street, Halifax
- Report (19 Mb) [PDF]
- Staff Presentation [PDF]
- Applicant's Presentation (38 Mb - large file) [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the proposed amendments to the Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS) and Land Use By-law (LUB) for Halifax Peninsula, as set out in Attachments A and B of the staff report dated November 1, 2016.
11.2 Amendments to the Regional Municipal Planning Strategy and Community Land Use By-laws Regarding the Development of 10 hectare (25 acre) lots [PDF]
- Staff report dated Oct 26/16 [PDF]
- Presentation [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the proposed amendments to the Regional Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS) and applicable community land use by-laws, as set out in Attachments A and B of the supplementary staff report dated November 23, 2016.
Public Hearings - Frequently Asked Questions
12. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
13. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
14.1 CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
14.1.1 Second Reading Proposed By-Law O-111 – Amendments to By-law 0-109, Respecting Open Air Burning – Industrial Burning Permits [PDF]
Motion – Councillor Whitman:
That Halifax Regional Council adopt By-law O-111, the purpose of which is to amend By-law O-109, the Open Air Burning By-law, to restrict industrial burning permits to a minimum area of 1 acre.
14.1.2 Ratification of Councillor Appointments from Standing Committees [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council adopt the recommendations of the Standing Committees Appointments as outlined in Attachment # 1, to the staff report dated December 15, 2016.
14.1.3 Bus Shelter Donation [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the donation of two Bus Shelters to the Mission to Seafarers Halifax.
14.1.4 Train Whistle – Shearwater Autoport Area [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Direct the Mayor, on behalf of Regional Council, to write a letter to Department of National Defence (DND) staff at Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Shearwater requesting that DND undertake a safety audit of the railway grade crossings on CFB Shearwater property in order to determine, and undertake, any modifications required at those crossings to facilitate the cessation of whistling operation; and
2. Dependent upon the response from DND, direct staff to determine requirements to cease whistling operations at the railway grade crossings on Hines Road and Howard Avenue and initiate the process of coordination among HRM, DND and the railway operator to enable whistle cessation at the identified locations.
14.2 AUDIT AND FINANCE STANDING COMMITTEE
14.2.1 Amended Investment Policy [PDF]
i) Annual Investment Policy Review [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the amended Investment Policy as recommended by the Investment Policy Advisory Committee as outlined in Appendix A of the staff report dated October 27, 2016.
14.2.2 Potential Contribution to the Army Museum [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council provide a one-time grant in the amount of $25,000 to the Army Museum toward the development of an installation to commemorate the Second World War. Provision of this grant will be dependent on the Museum receiving commitment for equal or greater funding from other orders of government.
14.3 COMMUNITY PLANNING AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STANDING COMMITTEE
14.3.1 North Preston Recreation Field [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council direct staff to:
1. Develop a detailed site plan and other supporting analysis for non- regulation sized recreation field at 857 Upper Governor Street, North Preston;
2. Negotiate a long-term lease or purchase with Halifax Water; and
3. Include funding for construction of a non-regulation sized recreation field in the 2017/18 capital budget for prioritization with all other capital items for Council’s consideration.
14.3.2 Permanent Encroachments for the Purpose of Facilitating Accessibility [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council direct staff to draft amendments to By-Law E-200, the Encroachment By-law, for Regional Council’s consideration, to allow for the waiver of any or all encroachment fees for the portion of a new encroachment which is constructed to facilitate barrier free access to an existing residential or commercial property, or where an existing encroachment is being enlarged or modified to facilitate barrier free access to either residential or commercial properties.
14.4 HALIFAX AND WEST COMMUNITY COUNCIL
14.4.1 Case 18388 – Amendments to the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Peninsula Land Use By-Law for 6389, 6395, and 6399 North Street, Halifax
- Report [PDF]
- Presentation [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council refuse the proposed amendments to the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy and Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-Law for 6389, 6395, and 6399 North Street, Halifax.
15.1 Ratification of In Camera Motion from December 13, 2016 – Approval of November 22, 2016 Minutes
That Halifax Regional Council approve the in camera minutes of November 22, 2016.
16. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
16.1 In Camera (In Private) Minutes – December 6 & 13, 2016
That the In Camera (In Private) minutes of December 6 and 13, 2016 be approved as circulated.
16.2 Personnel Matter
A matter pertaining to an identifiable individual or group.
16.2.1 Appointment of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) – Halifax Convention Centre Corporation – Private and Confidential Report
That Halifax Regional Council authorize the Chief Administrative Officer to provide written consent, as required under the Halifax Convention Centre Corporation Act, for the appointment as outlined in the private and confidential report dated December 21, 2016.
It is further recommended that the private and confidential report dated December 21, 2016 be released to the public after council has approved the recommendation and the contract has been signed by all parties.
17. ADDED ITEMS
18. NOTICES OF MOTION
January 10, 2017
1. Memorandum from the Chair of Audit and Finance Standing Committee dated December 12, 2016 re: Investment Activities – Quarter Ending June 30, 2016 [PDF]
2. Memorandum from the Chair of Audit and Finance Standing Committee dated December 12, 2016 re: Investment Policy Advisory Report – Quarter Ending June 30, 2016 [PDF]
3. Memorandum from the Chair of Audit and Finance Standing Committee dated December 13, 2016 re: Second Quarter 2016/2017 Financial Report (27 Mb) [PDF]
4. Memorandum from the Chair of Transportation Standing Committee dated December 19, 2016 re: Regional Goods Movement Opportunity Scoping Study [PDF]
5. Memorandum from the Chair of Transportation Standing Committee dated December 21, 2016 re: 2016/17 Q2 Halifax Transit KPI Report [PDF]
6. Memorandum from the Director of Transportation and Public Works dated December 12, 2016 re: Reinstatement of Crosswalk near Sheet Harbour Hospital [PDF]
7. Memorandum from the Municipal Clerk dated January 3, 2017 re: Requests for Presentation to Council – Mr. Patrick Stubbert [PDF]