Time: 9:30 a.m. Reconvene If Required March 31, 2023 at 9:30 a.m.
Location: Council Chamber, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax
Minutes: March 29, 2023 Budget Committee Minutes (PDF)
1. CALL TO ORDER AND LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
2. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – February 14 & 15, February 17 & 22 and March 3, 2023
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
4. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
5. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
6.1 2023/24 Budget Adjustment List (BAL) for Consideration
- Staff Report [PDF]
- Presentation [PDF]
That the Budget Committee:
1. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to finalize a Proposed Operating Budget for Regional Council that includes items 1 through 31 from the Budget Adjustment List schedule in Attachment A of the staff report dated March 22, 2023 to be added/removed to/from the 2023/24 Proposed Operating Budget;
2. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to finalize the Capital Budget for Regional Council that includes items 36 and 39 from Budget Adjustment List from schedule in Attachment A of the staff report dated March 22, 2023 to be added to the 2023/24 approved Capital Budget;
3. Notwithstanding the February 17, 2023 direction to proceed with a revenue increase of 1,450,000, direct the Chief Administrative Officer to include a revenue increase of $1,200,000 through a Building Permit Fee increase to Planning and Developments 2023/24 proposed budget as outlined in the Briefing Note BN031 and recommend that Regional Council rescind the motion from February 17, 2023.
If all three of these recommendations are approved, the average tax bill increase will be 5.6%.
6.2 Halifax Regional Police (HRP) and Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) – Deferred
from February 3, 2023 [PDF]
That the Budget Committee direct the Chief Administrative Officer to incorporate the Halifax Regional Police/ Royal Canadian Mounted Police (HRP-RCMP) proposed 2023/24 Budget and Business Plan, as set out and discussed in the accompanying plan and supporting presentation of the report dated January 31, 2023, into the Draft 2023/24 Operating Budget.
7. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
7.1 In Camera (In Private) Minutes – February 3, 2023
That the In Camera (In Private) minutes of February 3, 2023 be approved as circulated.
Private and Confidential Information Items
1. Private and Confidential In Camera (In Private) Information Report - re: Intergovernmental Relations