1. CALL TO ORDER
2. SPECIAL COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Committee of the Whole April 12, 2016
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
7. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
8. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
9. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – May 10, 2016
9.1 Councillor Karsten – Review of 2007 Crosswalk Task Force Policy [PDF]
9.2 Award – Q16M022 Maintenance Agreement for Facility Emergency Generators [PDF]
(i) Supplementary Information Report [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council award RFQ number Q16M022 to Eastern Alternative Power Systems for a total tender price of $1,797,616 (net HST included), with funding from W213, W203, W169, R680, R681, R683, B034, and P425 as outlined in the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated April 4, 2016 for a five-year term from 01 May 2016, to 30 April 2021, pending Ministerial Approval.
10. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
11. PUBLIC HEARING – 6:00 P.M.
11.1 By-law N-200, Respecting Noise – Exemption Application – Inn on the Lake [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the Inn on the Lake’s application for an
exemption from the provisions of the Noise By-Law pursuant to the contents of the staff report dated May 5, 2016.
11.2 Case 20264 – Amendment to the Regional Subdivision By-Law, Beaver Bank
- Report REVISED [PDF]
- Staff Presentation [PDF]
- Applicant Presentation [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the amendments to the Regional Subdivision By- Law, as contained in Attachment A of the staff report dated March 1, 2016, to extend to the Water Service Area to approximately 148.5 hectares (367 acres) of land located off Windgate Drive in Beaver Bank.
11.3 Proposed By-law T-1001, Amendments to By-law T-1000, Respecting Taxis, Accessible Taxis and Limousines and Administrative Order 39, Respecting Taxis & Limousines Regulation
- Report [PDF]
- Presentation [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Adopt By-Law T-1001, which includes amendments to By-Law T-1000, Respecting the Regulation of Taxis, Accessible Taxis and Limousines, as set out in the Appendix B of the staff report dated December 22, 2015; and
2. Adopt Amendments to Administrative Order 39, Respecting Taxi and Limousine Regulation, as set out in Appendix D of the staff report dated December 22, 2015.
Public Hearings - Frequently Asked Questions
12. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
13. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
14.1 CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
14.1.1 Award Tender No. 16-014 Cole Harbour Turf – Earthworks, Services and Landscaping and Request for Proposal (RFP) No. 16-036 Artificial Turf Supply and Installation [PDF]
1. Award Tender No. 16-014, Cole Harbour Turf - Earthworks, Services and Landscaping, to the lowest bidder meeting specifications, Dexter Construction Company Limited, for a Total Tender Price of $1,646,875 (no HST included, 100% recoverable) with funding from Project Account No. CP110002 – Cole Harbour Turf, as outlined in the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated May 3, 2016; and
2. Award Request For Proposal No. 16-036, Artificial Turf Supply and Installation, Cole Harbour, to the highest scoring proponent, Turf Masters Landscaping Limited, for a Total Price of $1,269,215 (no HST included, 100% recoverable) with funding from Project Account No. CP110002 – Cole Harbour Turf, as outlined in the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated May 3, 2016.
14.1.2 Award – Request for Proposals (RFP) P16-012, Security and Administrative Services [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council award RFP # P16-012, Security and Administrative Services to Commissionaires Nova Scotia for a period of up to five (5) years subject to operational requirements and budget availability at a first year cost of $1,388,914 net HST included with funding from Operating Account P270-6399 and P208-6399.
14.1.3 Award – Unit Tender Price No. 16-205 Pavement Renewal – Beckfoot Drive and Peddars Way – East Region [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council award Tender No. 16-205, Pavement Renewal– Beckfoot Drive and Peddars Way – East Region, to the lowest bidder meeting specifications, Dexter Construction Company Limited for a Total Tender Price of $531,150 (net HST included) with funding from Project Account No. CR000005 – Street Recapitalization, as outlined in the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated April 19, 2016.
14.1.4 Proposed Amendment to Administrative Order 58, the Delegation of Certain Authorities Administrative Order [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council adopt the proposed amendments the Administrative Order 58, as set out in Attachment B to the staff report dated May 6, 2016
14.1.5 Appointment of Building Officials [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council appoint Cyril Huntley and Adam Sadler as Building Officials, pursuant to Section 5(2) of the Nova Scotia Building Code Act. This appointment is effective for the duration of their current conditions of employment with Halifax Regional Municipality.
14.1.6 Case 19535 – Amendments to the Municipal Planning Strategy and Land Use By-Laws for Timberlea/Lakeside/Beechville, for 1839 & 1841 St. Margarets Bay Road, Timberlea [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Initiate the process to consider amending the Municipal Planning Strategy and Land Use By-law for Timberlea/Lakeside/Beechville, to permit commercial development at 1839 & 1841 St. Margarets Bay Road, Timberlea, and to amend the parking requirements in the Land Use By-law for restaurants and to introduce landscape requirements in the C-2 Zone; and
2. Follow the public participation program for municipal planning strategy amendments that was adopted by Regional Council on February 27, 1997.
14.1.7 Municipal and School Board Elections – Data Sharing Agreement with Elections Nova Scotia [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. approve the Information Sharing Agreement with Election Nova Scotia, as set out in Attachment 1 of the staff report dated May 9, 2016, and authorize and direct the Mayor and Municipal Clerk to execute the Agreement on behalf of the Municipality; and
2. authorize the Municipal Clerk to enter into and execute Information to Use Agreements on behalf of the Municipality in a form substantially similar to Attachment 2 of the staff report dated May 9, 2016.
14.1.8 Former Halifax County Regional Rehabilitation Centre Lands – Cole Harbour [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Designate approximately 16 hectares of the lands associated with the Former Halifax County Rehabilitation Centre PID, #00402982, as parkland as outlined in Attachment 2 of the staff report dated May 5, 2016;
2. Direct staff to work with the Cole Harbour Parks and Trails Association to create the necessary connections from Bissett Park to Cole Harbour Lawrencetown Heritage Park through the Rehabilitation Centre Lands; and
3. Direct staff to review the remainder of the property under the Administrative Order 50 process for potential disposal.
14.1.9 Increased Notification Distance for Variance Appeals [PDF]
That Regional Council not increase the notification distance for variance appeals beyond 30 metres of the applicant’s property for variance requests.
14.2 AUDIT AND FINANCE STANDING COMMITTEE
14.2.1 Multi-Year Funding Commitment – Cogswell Interchange Redevelopment Program [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council direct staff to amend section “m” of the 2016/17 Budget Resolution to include the Cogswell Interchange Redevelopment Project CT000007 in the amount of $58M as shown in revised “Schedule One – Multi-Year Funding Commitments” outlined in attachment one of the staff report dated April 28, 2016, as approved by Regional Council March 8, 2016 item 17.1, to allow multi-year tenders to be awarded. The Approved Budget for the Cogswell Interchange Redevelopment Project (CT000007) is $58M in Years 2017/18 to 2019/20 of the 2016/17 Approved Capital Budget Book.
14.3 EXECUTIVE STANDING COMMITTEE
14.3.1 Battle of the Atlantic Place - Update [PDF]
That Regional Council request the Mayor to write a letter in support of the Battle of the Atlantic Society’s application for federal funding.
14.4 ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABILITY STANDING COMMITTEE
14.4.1 National Zero Waste Council Management Board Alternate [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council appoint the Manager of Solid Waste Resources as an alternate to the National Zero Waste Council Management Board, Council appointment for a term up to October 31, 2016.
14.5 MEMBERS OF COUNCIL
14.5.1 Councillor Johns – Parking All-Weather Fields Burnside [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report on how to address parking issues at the all-weather fields in Burnside.
14.5.2 Councillor Watts – Homes not Hondas [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report addressing the requests identified in the petition titled Homes Not Hondas submitted on May 10, 2016.
14.5.3 Councillor Karsten – District Capital Request [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve a request for $10,000.00 from the District 3 District Capital Fund for the purchase and installation of an entry sign for Fisherman’s Cove.
15.1 Councillor Watts
That Halifax regional council request the province to amend the HRM Charter to enable Council to implement an Interim Development Control for an area, and that the amendment includes: [PDF]
(a) That Council may, by resolution, suspend or limit subdivision, development, or certain classes of subdivision or development in an identified area;
(b) The maximum length a time the resolution may stay in effect;
(c) That a resolution suspending or limiting may be different for different areas of the Municipality and for different periods of time providing the maximum time is not exceeded for any given area; and
(d) That no permit or approval of any kind may be issued that is contrary to the resolution establishing the area.
15.2 Councillor Watts
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report that identifies which zones outside the Centre Plan area of the Municipality currently allows and could be amended to allow for large-scale automotive dealerships and that staff be directed to return to Council for consideration of the report. [PDF]
15.3 Councillor Watts
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report on the status of the municipal strategy to engage with First Nations community on actions identified through the Truth and Reconciliation process and our commitment to partnership as passed in the Dec. 8, 2015 motion of Regional Council. The report is requested to provide an overall framework for engagement, steps to move forward on development of a strategy with a timeline for implementation, and a reporting framework to the Executive Committee. [PDF]
15.4 Councillor Dalrymple
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report on extending the Water Service Boundary along the Fall River Road from the Windsor Junction Road to Highway 2 and further along Highway 2 from the Fall River Road to the Highway 102 overpass. [PDF]
15.5 Deputy Mayor Whitman
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff reports to explore a pedestrian connection from St. Margaret’s Bay Elementary to the St. Margaret’s Bay Rails to Trails and the HRM Ball Field, playground and Bay waterfront access.
16. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
16.1 Property Matter
A matter pertaining to providing instruction and direction to officers and employees of the Municipality pertaining to the acquisition / sale of land in regard to
16.1.1 Agreement of Purchase and Sale, Bloomfield Property – Private and Confidential Report
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Direct staff to defer sale of the property until the conclusion of Centre Plan process and to report back to Council at the appropriate time with disposal options for the property pursuant to Administrative Order 50; and
2. It is further recommended that this private and confidential staff report dated May 18, 2016 be released.
17. ADDED ITEMS
18. NOTICES OF MOTION
May 24, 2016
1. Memorandum from the Chair of the Environment and Sustainability Standing Committee dated May 13, 2016 re: Update on the Solar City Program [PDF]
2. Memorandum from the Acting Deputy Chief Administrative Officer Dated May 16, 2016 re: Progress Update on Cogswell Redevelopment Program [PDF]
3. Memorandum from the Municipal Clerk dated May 16, 2016 re: Requests for Presentation to Council – None [PDF]