1. CALL TO ORDER
SPECIAL PRESENTATION – CITIZENSHIP AWARDS – 6:00 P.M.
2. SPECIAL COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – March 21, March 28 and April 11, 2017
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
7. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
8. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
9. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – NONE
10. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
11. PUBLIC HEARING – 6:00 p.m. (Following the Citizenship Awards)
11.1 By-law N-200, Respecting Noise – Exemption Application – Glen Arbour Golf Club [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the Glen Arbour Golf Club’s application for an exemption from the provisions of the Noise By-Law pursuant to the contents of the staff report dated April 19, 2017.
Public Hearings - Frequently Asked Questions
12. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
13. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – April 25, 2017
13.1 Councillor Cleary – Sidewalk Snow Removal Options [PDF]
14.1 CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
14.1.1 Award – Unit Price Tender No. 17-205, Asphalt Overlays Phase 1, Various Locations [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council award Tender No. 17-205, Asphalt Overlays Phase 1 – Various Locations, to the lowest bidder meeting specifications, Dexter Construction Company Limited for a Total Tender Price of $2,013,909 (net HST included) with funding from Project Account Nos. CR000005 – Street Recapitalization and CKU01084 – Sidewalk Renewal, as outlined in the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated April 11, 2017.
14.1.2 Proposed Amendments to Administrative Order SC-70, Respecting Closure of a portion of Marilyn Drive right-of-way, Dartmouth, and Administrative Order SC-71, Respecting Closure of Closure of a portion of Victoria Road right-of-way, Dartmouth – Housekeeping Amendments [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council adopt the amendments to Administrative Order SC-70, Respecting Closure of a Portion of Marilyn Drive, Dartmouth and Administrative Order SC-71, Respecting Closure of a Portion of Victoria Road, Dartmouth, adding Attachment C to each Administrative Order, as set out in Attachment 3 of the staff report dated March 20, 2017.
14.1.3 Special Elections – Appointment of Returning Officer and Delegation of Duties [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Appoint Lori A. McKinnon, Election Coordinator, as the Returning Officer to conduct any special election that may be required prior to the 2020 regular municipal and school board election; and
2. Delegate duties and responsibilities as provided for under the Municipal Elections Act for any special election that may be required prior to the 2020 regular municipal and school board election as follows:
(1) to the Returning Officer, delegate Council’s authority to fix a day for the second day of advance polls;
(2) to the Municipal Clerk, delegate Council’s power to appoint assistant returning officers as required; and
(3) to the Municipal Clerk, delegate Council’s authority to make, revise and amend the tariff of fees and expenses and provide for the method of rendering and verifying accounts for payment.
14.1.4 First Reading Proposed By-Law S-310, an Amendment to By-Law S-300, Respecting Streets and Proposed Administrative Order 2017-001-OP, the Placement of Crosswalk Flags Administrative Order [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council give First Reading to By-law S-310, amending By-law S-300, the Streets By-law, as set out in Attachment 3 of the staff report dated March 9, 2017.
14.1.5 Case 20232 – Municipal Planning Strategy and Land Use By-law Amendments for 686 Bedford Highway, Halifax [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council refuse to initiate the process to consider amendments to the Municipal Planning Strategy for Halifax and the Land Use By-law for Halifax Mainland to enable the development of a multi-unit residential building at 686 Bedford Highway, Halifax.
14.1.6 Case 20226 – Secondary Municipal Planning Strategy (SMPS) and Land Use By-Law Amendments for Lovett Lake Lands, Beechville [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Initiate a process to consider a comprehensive set of amendments to the Secondary Municipal
Planning Strategy and Land Use By-law for Timberlea / Lakeside / Beechville, and to the Secondary Municipal Planning Strategy for Halifax and the Land Use By-law for Halifax Mainland, for lands near Lovett Lake in Beechville (identified as the Study Area in the staff report dated May 2, 2017), consistent with the Regional Municipal Planning Strategy’s characteristics for Urban Local Growth Centres; and
2. Follow a public participation program, as outlined in Attachment F of the staff report dated May 2, 2017.
14.2 AUDIT AND FINANCE STANDING COMMITTEE
14.2.1 Grant Request – Parking Lot Reconstruction Maritime Conservatory of Performing Arts Society and Maritime Muslim Academy [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council decline the grant request for $124,195.11 towards private parking lot upgrades.
14.3 COMMUNITY PLANNING AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STANDING COMMITTEE
14.3.1 Universal Access to Municipal Washroom Facilities [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council direct staff to draft an Administrative Order on universal access to all municipal facilities.
14.3.2 Potential International Partnership with Zhuhai China [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council authorize the Mayor to prepare a Letter of Intent to initiate the process of establishing an Economic Partnership Agreement with Zhuhai, China.
14.3.3 Back to Our Roots Urban Farm Market [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council direct staff to prepare an agreement with “Back To Our Roots” urban farm to operate a small-scale market in accordance with Table 1 of the staff report dated February 27, 2017.
14.4 TRANSPORTATION STANDING COMMITTEE
14.4.1 Second Reading Proposed By-Law U-101, an Amendment to By-Law U-100, Respecting User Charges – SmartTrip Membership Fee Structure and EPass Agreement Amendments [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Adopt proposed By-law U-101, the purpose of which is to amend Schedule 2 of By-law U-100, Respecting User Charges, changing the annual SmartTrip membership fee structure, as set out in Attachment B of the staff report dated January 16, 2017; and
2. Approve the amendments to the EPass Memorandum of Understanding, converting the EPass Program from one based on a calendar year to one based on a 12 month commitment, as set out in Attachment E of the staff report dated January 16, 2017.
14.4.2 Taxi Safety [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council direct staff to:
1. Draft amendments to Administrative Order #39 so that; Licensing Decals are displayed inside the front passenger and back passenger areas of a vehicle for hire to identify the license number of a vehicle.
2. Create a Request for Proposal (RFP) toward an in-depth industry review and jurisdictional scan including recommendations not limited to the following:
• Incorporating new industry technologies, e.g., in taxi video / audio recording systems, GPS real-time tracking systems, smartphone applications; etc.
• License restrictions;
• Sensitivity and Safety Training;
• Passenger/Driver safety measures, e.g., in car shields, emergency alarm buttons and passenger trip logs;
• Standards of professional, moral and ethical conduct of license holders; and
• Conditions that would result in an automatic suspension or revocation of a license
14.5 HERITAGE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
14.5.1 Case H00443 – Substantial Alteration to the Clarke-Halliston House, 1029 South Park Street, Halifax a municipally registered heritage property [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the substantial alteration to the Clarke-Halliston House, 1029 South Park Street, Halifax.
14.5.2 Case H00449 – 2017/2018 Heritage Incentive Program [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve the recommended grants to the properties listed in Attachment A of the March 23, 2017 staff report, conditional upon the applicants’ compliance with section 29 through 35 of Administrative Order Number 2014-002-ADM, the Heritage Incentives Program Administrative Order.
16. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
16.1 In Camera (In Private) Minutes – March 28 and April 11, 2017
That the In Camera (In Private) minutes of March 28 and April 11, 2017 be approved as circulated.
16.2 Personnel Matter
Citizen and Councillor appointments to boards and committees in keeping with the Public Appointment Policy adopted by Regional Council in August 2011, to be found at http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/documents/Citizenrecruitmentpolicy.pdf
16.2.1 Ratification of Citizen Appointments to Boards and Committees – Private and Confidential Report
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Adopt the recommendations of the Standing Committees regarding the Citizen Appointments as outlined in Attachment #1 of the private and confidential report dated April 20, 2017.
2. It is further recommended that the Citizen Appointments be released to the public following ratification and notification of the successful candidates.
16.3 Property Matter
A matter pertaining to providing instruction and direction to officers and employees of the Municipality pertaining to the acquisition / sale of land in regard to
16.3.1 Proposed World Trade and Convention Centre, September 2, 2009 – Private and Confidential Report
That Halifax Regional Council declassify the Private & Confidential Report regarding the Proposed World Trade & Convention Centre dated September 2, 2009. It is further recommended that the Private and Confidential Report dated April 4, 2017 be released to the public.
16.3.2 Bancroft Lane, Burnside Industrial Park (Supplementary Report) – Private and Confidential Report
That Halifax Regional Council
1) Amend, ratify and approve the resolution of the February 3, 2015 In-Camera Report “Property Matter – Bancroft Lane, Burnside Park, Dartmouth” as originally approved by Regional Council on March 24, 2015 as follows:
a) Authorize the Mayor and Municipal Clerk to enter into a Licence and Conversion with Harbour Isle Halifax Incorporated (“HIHI”) with respect to the use and construction upgrade of Bancroft Lane to a public street and the use and construction of a public street known as Marketplace Drive Extension over a portion of the Municipality’s Lands pursuant to the core terms and conditions outlined in Table 1 of the April 4th, 2017 In Camera (In Private) report to Council and as contained in Attachment 2 thereof, as may be amended to give effect to the intentions of the parties;
b) Authorize the Mayor and Municipal Clerk to enter into an Agreement of Purchase and Sale with HIHI for proposed Lot JIR-1-R2 intended to be the location of a future Transit transfer station as per the terms and conditions outlined in Table 2 of the April 4th, 2017 In Camera (In Private) report to Council and as contained in Attachment 3 thereof, as may be amended to give effect to the intentions of the parties;
c) Authorize the Mayor and Municipal Clerk to enter into a Subdivision Agreement with HIHI, and others if necessary, under substantially the same terms and conditions as contained in Attachment 4 of the April 4th, 2017 In Camera (In Private) report to Council, as may be amended to give effect to the intentions of the parties;
d) Approve the minimum unit value for the sale of the remaining Burnside Industrial Lot Inventory respecting of PIDs 41093477 and 41093485, Bancroft Lane, Dartmouth, as per the terms and conditions outlined in Table 3 of the April 4th, 2017 In Camera (In Private) report to Council; and
e) Authorize the Mayor and Municipal Clerk to accept, if necessary, a Collateral Assignment of Contracts from HIHI with respect to the benefits associated under certain contracts between HIHI and third parties in connection with the intended road improvements under substantially the same terms and conditions as contained in Attachment 5 of the April 4th, 2017 In Camera (In Private) report to Council, as may be amended to give effect to the intentions of the parties;
2) The April 4th, 2017 In Camera (In Private) report to Council shall not be released to the public until the transaction has closed.
17. ADDED ITEMS
17.1 Councillor Streatch - District Capital Fund Policy re: Fall River Minor Football Association [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve a one-time amendment to the district Capital Fund Policy to allow for a disbursement of $5000 to the Fall River Minor Football Association for the purpose of completing hydro-seeding for a new community multi-purpose sports field at High Road and Carmel Crescent in Fall River, to be funded from the District 1 Capital Funds.
18. NOTICES OF MOTION
May 9, 2017
1. Proclamation – Lyme Disease Awareness Month – May 2017 [PDF]
2. Proclamation – North American Occupational Health and Safety Week – May 7 - 13, 2017 [PDF]
3. Proclamation – Falun Dafa Day – May 13, 2017 [PDF]
4. Proclamation – National Public Works Week – May 21 - 27, 2017 [PDF]
5. Memorandum from the Director of Finance and Asset Management/CFO dated March 20, 2017 re: 6067 Quinpool Road Disposal Process [PDF]
6. Memorandum from the Municipal Solicitor dated March 15, 2017 re: Roll Call at Meetings of Regional Council and all Committees of Council [PDF]
7. Memorandum from the Municipal Clerk dated May 1, 2017 re: Requests for Presentation to Council None [PDF]