Time: 10:00 a.m.
Location: Council Chamber, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax
Minutes: November 23 and 26, 2021 Budget Committee Minutes (PDF)
This meeting continued on November 26, 2021, at 9:00 a.m.
Learn about public health requirements for attending in-person meetings
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – October 26, 2021
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
4. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
5. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
That the Budget Committee:
1. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to develop the 2022/23 Budget according to Council's approved priorities, and preliminary fiscal direction, including setting the average property tax bill for residential and commercial properties at a 2.9 per cent increase plus an additional 3.0 per cent increase in the average property tax bill for a dedicated Climate Action Tax to fund Strategic Investments, for a total average increase of 5.9 per cent,
2. Recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
• Approve the updated Reserve Business Cases included in Attachment A of the staff report dated November 9, 2021 and the transfers in reserve balances and commitments described in the staff report dated November 9, 2021; and,
• Approve the updated Debt Guidelines included in Attachment B of the staff report dated November 9, 2021 including a new debt ceiling of $1,200 per dwelling unit and a revised formula for Capital from Operating targets.