Time: 9:30 a.m.
Location: Council Chamber, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax
Minutes: November 25, 2022 Budget Committee Minutes (PDF)
1. CALL TO ORDER AND LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
2. APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES – NONE
3. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
4. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
5. PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
1. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to develop the 2023/24 Budget according to Council's approved priorities, and preliminary fiscal direction, including setting the average property tax bill for residential and commercial properties at an 8.0 percent increase.
2. Recommend that Regional Council rescind the direction from the 2022-23 fiscal budget to include $7 million in the 2023/24 budget to fund a sidewalk program from capital from operating; and
3. Further recommend that Halifax Regional Council:
• Reallocate $20 million included in the Strategic Initiative Operating Reserve (Q667) in 2019 as a potential capital contribution for the construction of a Community Stadium, to the following reserves:
o Transfer $5 million to the Options Reserve (Q421) for the Solid Waste Facility capital project (CW190003)
o Transfer $15 million to the Capital Fund Reserve (Q521) to fund over-commitments within the capital fund reserve; and
• Approve revised debt policy of $1,500 per dwellings and amend capital-from-operating to be $72.922 million for the 2023/24 budget