Time: 1:00p.m., Reconvene 6:00 p.m. if required
Location: Council Chamber, 3rd Floor City Hall, 1841 Argyle Street, Halifax
Minutes: June 4, 2019 Halifax Regional Council Minutes (PDF)
Summary of recorded votes: June 4, 2019 Halifax Regional Council Summary of Recorded Votes (PDF)
Action summary: June 4, 2019 Halifax Regional Council Action Summary (PDF)
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. SPECIAL COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Budget Committee April 16, 2019 and Regional Council April 30, May 10 and May 14, 2019
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. CONSENT AGENDA – NONE
6. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
7. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
8. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
9. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
10. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – May 21, 2019
10.1 Bus Stop Theatre Cooperative Funding Request
- Report [PDF]
- Attachment 1 - BSTC Presentation to CPED [Large 13 Mb PDF]
- Attachment 2 - BSTC Business Plan [Large 42 Mb PDF]
- Attachment 3 - BSTC Architectural Drawings [Large 70 Mb PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Decline the request for provision of a one-time contribution of $500,000 from the 2019/2020 operating budget to The Bus Stop Theatre Cooperative;
2. Direct the Chief Administrative Officer to engage in discussions with the Bus Stop Theatre Company about a request for future funding as outlined in their business plan; and,
3. Pending the outcome of the discussions, direct the Chief Administrative Officer to return to the Community Planning and Economic Development Standing Committee with any subsequent recommendation prior to the budget deliberations for the next 2-year budget cycle (2021/2022 and 2022/2023).
11. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
12. PUBLIC HEARING – NONE
13. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
13.1.1 Fly-Past Request – 2019 Canada Day Official Opening Ceremonies [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council grant permission for a fly-past provided by aircraft(s) from the SkyHawks over the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site at levels of less than 500 feet above the highest obstacles on Monday July 1, 2019 at approximately 12:15 PM, as part of the Canada Day Official Opening Ceremonies.
14. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – May 21, 2019
14.1 Councillor Cleary – Funding Request – The Vimy Foundation [PDF]
15.1 CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
15.1.1 Roadside Memorials Policy on Placement in HRM Public Right of Way [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council direct the Chief Administrative Officer to prepare the necessary By-Law and Administrative Order amendments to permit the placement of Roadside Memorials in the HRM public Right of Way, based on the criteria outlined in the staff report dated March 8, 2019.
15.1.2 Second Reading Proposed By-law F-400, Respecting the Distribution of Flyers – Flyer Delivery in HRM [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council adopt the proposed By-law F-400, Respecting the Distribution of Flyers, as set out in the revised Attachment 1 of the staff report dated February 15, 2019.
15.1.3 Sullivan’s Pond Aquatic Weeds [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council authorize the Chief Administrative Officer to enter into a Contribution Agreement with the Halifax and Area Model Yacht Club substantially in accordance with the draft agreement attached to the staff report dated May 27, 2019.
15.1.4 2019/20 Winter Snow and Ice Control Contract Awards [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Waive the requirement for the Audit and Finance Standing Committee to review and make a recommendation to Council regarding the withdrawal of funds from reserves and approve an increase to Operating Cost Centres R881, R882 and R885 – PB Contracts (GL 6399), in an amount up to $1,209,442 for a total combined 2019/20 Operating Budget of up to $21,025,242, and an amount of up to $2,088,207, for a total combined 2020/21 Operating Budget of up to $22,086,107 with funding to be provided from any Transportation and Public Works annual operating surpluses and/or through the Risk Reserves: General Contingency Reserve, Q421, as per the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated May 22, 2019;
2. Award RFP 19-025, Winter Snow and Ice Control, to Dexter Construction Limited for a total value of $19,782,011.34 (net HST included) with funding from Operating Cost Centres R880 (PB Contracts Streets), R881 (PB Contracts Sidewalks), and R885 (PB Contracts Street and Sidewalks), as outlined in the Financial Implications section of the staff report dated May 22, 2019;
3. Award Tenders for Winter Snow and Ice Control for Sidewalks, Walkways and Trails as identified below:
• 19-040 – SWZ5 Halifax Peninsula South
Excel Property Maintenance for a Total Tender Price of $2,502,885 (net HST included);
• 19-041 – SWZ6A Halifax Peninsula West
Leahey’s Landscaping Ltd. for a Total Tender Price of $3,023,740 (net HST included);
• 19-042 – SWZ6B Halifax Peninsula North
Leahey’s Landscaping Ltd. for a Total Tender Price of $3,392,249 (net HST included);
• 19-043 – SWZ7 Clayton Park/Fairview Area
Provincial Pavement Marking Ltd. for a Total Tender Price of $4,183,121 (net HST included); and
• 19-044 – SWZ8 Lake Banook/Woodside Area
Elmsdale Landscaping Ltd. for a Total Tender Price of $1,729,911 (net HST included).
15.2 EXECUTIVE STANDING COMMITTEE
15.2.1 Strategic Multi-Year Business Planning and Budget Process
- Report [PDF]
- Presentation [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Approve replacement of the annual Outcome Planning Presentations with a consolidated Annual Strategic Plan Report and direct the Chief Administrative Officer to prepare the 2020/21 business plan based on the report;
2. Approve a citizen engagement plan including the use of pop-ups to inform the 2020/21 business planning and budget process as outlined in the staff report dated May 16, 2019; and
3. Approve the 2020/21 Committee of the Whole Business Planning and Budget Meeting Schedule (Attachment F of the staff report dated May 16, 2019).
15.3 NORTH WEST COMMUNITY COUNCIL
15.3.1 Hammonds Plains Consolidated School Area Rate Funding Request [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council authorize a one-time contribution of $36,794.25 from the Hammonds Plains Area Rate surplus to the Hammonds Plains Consolidated School Parent Teacher Association to landscape the grounds of the Hammonds Plains Consolidated School.
15.4 SPECIAL EVENTS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
15.4.1 Marketing Levy Special Events Reserve Grant 2019 Report [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Approve 22 proposed Event Grants for a total of $1,004,500 as outlined in revised Table 1 of
the committee report dated May 27, 2019 in 2019/20 from the Community and Events Reserve,
Q621 with consideration to the following:
• Deferral of the Field Lacrosse Festival and International Professional Field Lacrosse, Rugby Festival & International Men’s Rugby Match and Soccer Festival and Professional Soccer Friendly event applications pending required information from the applicant on the previous years financial reports, key dates and team participants for the 2019 feature events, and clarity on the logistics of the events being hosted within and outside of HRM;
• Increase the proposed Distinguished Event Grant for Slo-Pitch National from $5,000 to $8,000 to assist with additional costs associated with the delivery of the event;
• Increase the proposed Signature Event Grant for the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo from $94,000 to $100,000 for one-year - 2019-20, and re-evaluate future years’ funding levels (2020/21 and 2021/22) on receipt of the 2019 final report and pending further review and clarification on associated room nights/economic impact;
• Approve the addition of a grant under the Distinguished Event Program in the amount of $1,500 to B1 Fishing Shop Fish Win; and
• Approve the Signature Event Grant of $40,000 for the Atlantic FIN Festival for one-year – 2019/20 and re-evaluate future years funding awards (2020/21 and 2021/22) on receipt of the 2019 final report and clarification on room nights/economic impact;
2. Pending final approval of the 2020/21 budget, approve 9 Signature Event Grants in the amount of $359,000, as identified in revised Table 2 of the committee report dated May 27, 2019 from the Community and Events Reserve, Q621;
3. Pending final approval of the 2021/22 budget, approve 9 Signature Event Grants for the total of $359,000 as identified in the revised Table 3 of the committee report dated May 27, 2019 from the Community and Events Reserve, Q621;
4. Pending final approval of the 2020/21 budget, approve a Major Hosting grant in the amount of $200,000 from the Community and Events Reserve, Q621, as identified in Table 4 of the staff report dated May 3, 2019 to the Atlantic Division Canoe Kayak Canada for the International Canoe Federation (ICF) Canoe Sprint World Championships; and;
5. Pending final approval of the 2021/22 budget, approve a Major Hosting grant in the amount of $200,000 from the Community and Events Reserve, Q621, as identified in Table 5 of the staff report dated May 3, 2019 to the Atlantic Division Canoe Kayak Canada for the International Canoe Federation (ICF) Canoe Sprint World Championships.
15.5 MEMBERS OF COUNCIL
15.5.1 Councillor Cleary – Leave for Elections [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report on implementing recommendation #2 in the Elections Nova Scotia report released on May 29, 2019, which would require Councillors to take a leave of absence if they register as a candidate in an election at another level of government.
15.5.2 Councillor Adams - Harrietsfield Water Funding [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council direct that the Chief Administrative Officer request confirmation from the Provincial government with respect to available federal and provincial funding specifically for the Harrietsfield Water Project and report back to Council.
17. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
17.1 In Camera (In Private) Minutes – April 30 and May 10, 2019
That the In Camera (In Private) minutes of April 30 and May 10, 2019 be approved as circulated.
17.2 PROPERTY MATTER – Councillor Hendsbee – Parkland Acquisition – Private and Confidential Report
A matter pertaining to providing instruction and direction to officers and employees of the Municipality pertaining to the acquisition / sale of land.
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report and direct the Chief Administrative Officer as outlined in the private and confidential Councillor request for consideration form.
18. ADDED ITEMS
18.1 Councillor Austin – Permission under Administrative Order 53 to serve alcohol at the Dog Days of Summer Event at the Park Avenue Community Oven [PDF]
That, in accordance with section 7 of Administrative Order 53, Halifax Regional Council grant permission for serving alcohol in Leighton Dillman Park at the Park Avenue Community Oven as part of the Dog Days of Summer event organized by B’y Local Dartmouth for one day in June 2019 subject to complying with the terms of Part IV of Administrative Order #53 and all other applicable municipal policies.
19. NOTICES OF MOTION
June 4, 2019
1. Proclamation – National Deafblind Awareness Month – June 2019 [PDF]
2. Proclamation – ALS Awareness Month – June 2019 [PDF]
3. Proclamation – World No Tobacco Day – May 31, 2019 [PDF]
4. Memorandum from the Municipal Clerk dated May 27, 2019 re: Requests for Presentation to Council – None [PDF]
5. Proclamation – Halifax Bike Week – June 1-9, 2019 [PDF]
6. Memorandum from the Director of Parks and Recreation dated May 24, 2019 re: Surveillance Camera Pilot Project for Public Spaces – Farrell Street Park Pathway [PDF]