1. CALL TO ORDER
2. SPECIAL COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – July 17, July 31 and August 14, 2018
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
7. MOTIONS OF RECONSIDERATION – NONE
8. MOTIONS OF RESCISSION – NONE
9. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS – July 31, 2018 and August 14, 2018
9.1 2018-2019 Events East Business Plan/Budget
- Report [PDF]
- Background Information [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council receive a presentation.
9.2 Councillor Whitman – Information Report from the Chair of Halifax Water Board dated July 16, 2018 re: Halifax Water 2017/18 Accountability/Financial Results Report [PDF]
9.3 Councillor Whitman – Information Report from the Director of Human Resources and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion dated July 19, 2018 re: Employment Systems Review [PDF]
10. NOTICES OF TABLED MATTERS – NONE
11. PUBLIC HEARING – NONE
Note: the following public hearings will be re-scheduled to a future meeting of Regional Council.
-Case 20936 – Long Lake Village, Halifax
-Case 20589 – By-law Amendment – Middle Musquodoboit
12. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
13. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
14.1 CHIEF ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER
14.1.1 Appointment of Building Official [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council appoint Gregory Henwood as a Building Official, pursuant to Section 5(2) of the Nova Scotia Building Code Act. This appointment is effective for the duration of their assignment to the duties of a Building Official with Halifax Regional Municipality.
14.1.2 Temporary Borrowing Resolution [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve a Temporary Borrowing Resolution of $172,673,900 for financing of the debt funded projects from the 2018/2019 capital budget and previous years’ debt funded capital projects.
14.1.3 First Reading of Proposed By-Law P-1200, Respecting On-Street Parking Permits, repealing and replacing By-law P-1000, Respecting On-Street Parking Exemptions and Permits and First Reading of Proposed By-law P-506, Amending By-law P-500, Respecting Parking Meters for the Regulation of Parking of Vehicles Left Standing in the Halifax Regional Municipality [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Move First Reading of proposed By-law P-1200, Respecting On-Street Parking Permits, repealing and replacing By-law P-1000, Respecting On-Street Parking Exemptions and Permits as set out in Attachment 1 of the staff report dated August 1, 2018; and,
2. Move First Reading of proposed By-law P-506, Amending By-law P-500, Respecting Parking Meters for the Regulation of Parking of Vehicles Left Standing in the Halifax Regional Municipality as set out in Attachment 4 of the staff report dated August 1, 2018.
14.1.4 Repeal of Administrative Orders 2014-005-GOV and 2015-003-ADM Halifax Explosion 100th Anniversary [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Repeal Administrative Order 2014-005-GOV, Respecting the Special Advisory Committee on the 100th Anniversary of the Halifax Explosion; and
2. Repeal Administrative Order 2015-003-ADM, Respecting the Halifax Explosion 100th Anniversary Grants Program.
14.1.5 Proposed Amendments to Administrative Order 29, Respecting HRM Civic Addressing Policies - Case CA0121 Street Naming from April 1, 2018 – May 31, 2018 [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council adopt the proposed amendments to Administrative Order 29, Respecting Civic Addressing Policies in order to approve:
1. the names Mabel Hubbard and Walter Peters as approved heritage names as shown on Attachment A and B of the staff report dated August 9, 2018.
2. the naming of six new private lanes as identified in Attachment B and Maps 1,2,3,4 and 5 of the staff report dated August 9, 2018; and
3. the renaming of a portion of the public street, Sylvia Avenue, to Enid Avenue, Halifax as identified in Attachment B and Maps 6 and 7 of the staff report dated August 9, 2018; and
4. the retirement of the street name Loop Road, Halifax as identified in Attachment B and Map 8 of the staff report dated August 9, 2018.
14.1.6 Case 21812 – Municipal Planning Strategy (MPS) Amendment to Enable Non-Substantive Amendments to the Existing Development Agreement for St. Margaret’s Square (PID’s 41410010, and 40897118), Upper Tantallon [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council:
1. Initiate a process to consider amendments to the Planning Districts 1 & 3 (St. Margaret’s Bay) Municipal Planning Strategy pertaining to the development lands commonly known as ‘St. Margaret’s Square’, to enable the consideration of non-substantive development agreement amendments in accordance with the policies in effect at the time the development agreement was approved; and
2. Follow the public participation program outlined in the Community Engagement section of the staff report dated July 16, 2018
14.1.7 Halifax Transit Technical Services Advisor - Sole Source TransitMaster Upgrade - REVISED [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve a sole source award to Trapeze Software Group in the amount of $171,413 (including net HST) to implement the upgrade of the TransitMaster Software to version 17 as described in the staff report dated August 1, 2018.
14.1.8 Second Reading Proposed By-law C-1001, amending By-law C-1000, Respecting Financing and Charges for Homeowners to Resolve Inadequate On-Site Water Supply (Supplementary Report) [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council give second reading and adopt By-law C-1001, amending By-Law C-1000 Respecting Charges for the Resolution of Inadequate Water Supply as set out in Attachment 3 of the staff report dated April 18, 2018 to ensure that any lien resulting from the financing of the costs of repairing or replacing private on-site water supply systems does not exceed 75% of the assessed property value as determined by the Property Valuation Services Corporation.
14.1.9 First Reading Proposed By-law N-304 Respecting Smoking, an Amendment to By-law N-300, Respecting Nuisances [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council give First Reading to By-law N-304, the purpose of which is to amend By-law N-300, Respecting Nuisances to rename the By-law and to clarify Part 4 as set out in Attachment 2 of the staff report dated August 23, 2018.
14.1.10 Case 20374 - Incentive or Bonus Zoning Agreement 5673-5681 Brenton Place and 1448-1468 Brenton Street, Halifax [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council adopt, and authorize the Mayor and Clerk to enter into and execute the Incentive or Bonus Zoning Agreement as provided in Attachment B of the staff report dated August 15, 2018 for the mixed-use development at 5673-5681 Brenton Place and 1448-1468 Brenton Street, Halifax
14.2 MEMBERS OF COUNCIL
14.2.1 Councillor Hendsbee - Purchase of Civic Address Signs through District Capital Funding [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council approve a one-time exemption to grant funding in the amount of $500.00 from the District 2 District Capital Fund for the purchase of civic signs for the Lawrencetown Beach Volunteer Fire Department Firefighters Association.
14.2.2 Councillor Hendsbee - Variable Message Signs on the Eastern Region of the Municipality [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report on advancing and expanding the network of Variable Message Signs on primary truck routes into Metro Halifax on the Eastern region of the Municipality for Highway 7, 107, 207 and 111 with consideration given to cost sharing with Halifax Harbour Bridges, as has been done in the past.
14.2.3 Councillor Hendsbee - Recommendations to the current Provincial Aid to Municipality Program [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report to reassess and make possible recommendations to the current Provincial Aid to Municipality Program for the cost-share paving of subdivision streets Outside the Urban Core area.
14.2.4 Councillor Hendsbee - Reassess the current Household Special Waste (HSW) Mobile Program [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report to reassess and make possible recommendations to the current HSW Mobile Depot program whereby our local EnviroDepots in HRM are involuntarily becoming the depository of Household Special Waste with materials being left on their doorsteps by our citizens.
15.1 Deputy Mayor Mason [PDF]
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report regarding the options and opportunities for renewal or replacement of the Ticket Atlantic system as the sole provider for Scotiabank Centre. This report shall include an update regarding steps taken to address concerns raised in the Auditor General’s report ‘Review of the Transfer of Box Office Operations from the Halifax Metro Centre to Trade Centre Limited’.
15.2 Councillor Streatch
That Halifax Regional Council request a staff report focusing on roadside memorials and policy surrounding the placement of such within the public right of way throughout the Halifax Regional Municipality and that this report return to Regional Council for consideration.
16. IN CAMERA (IN PRIVATE)
Council may rise and go into a private In Camera session, in accordance with Section 19 of the Halifax Regional Municipality Charter, for the purpose of dealing with the following:
16.1 In Camera (In Private) Minutes – July 17 and 31, 2018
That the In Camera (In Private) minutes of July 17 and 31, 2018 be approved as circulated.
Private and Confidential Information Items
1. Private and Confidential In Camera (In Private) Information Report - re: Claims Settlements Fiscal 2017 2018
17. ADDED ITEMS
18. NOTICES OF MOTION
September 11, 2018
1. Proclamation – Prostate Cancer Awareness – September 2018 [PDF]
2. Proclamation – Childhood Cancer Awareness Month – September 2018 [PDF]
3. Proclamation – National Polycystic Kidney Disease Awareness Day – September 4, 2018 [PDF]
4. Proclamation – Mount Saint Vincent University Students’ Union Shinerama – September 3-7, 2018 [PDF]
5. Proclamation – World Sickle Cell Month – September 2018 [PDF]
6. Information report from the Director of Planning and Development and Acting Chief Administrative Officer dated June 20, 2018 re: Commercial Policy Considerations for Development Proposals [PDF]
7. Memorandum from the Municipal Clerk dated September 4, 2018 re: Requests for Presentation to Council - None [PDF]