The HSW Depot is located behind the Materials Recycling Facility
20 Horseshoe Lake Drive, Bayer's Lake Business Park, Halifax
- Residential householders of HRM only. No business/commercial waste.
- Businesses must contact a private hazardous materials handling company for disposal.
Material can only be dropped between 9:00 am - 4:00 pm during the OPEN Saturdays. You can also set up curbside collection reminders to view the HSW depot and mobile event schedules from your phone or tablet.
October 15 - OPEN
October 22 - OPEN
October 29 - OPEN
November 5 - OPEN
November 12 - CLOSED
November 26 - OPEN
December 3 - OPEN
December 10 - OPEN
December 17 - OPEN
December 24 - CLOSED
December 31 - CLOSED
Mercury Containing Products - Efficiency Nova Scotia
Efficiency Nova Scotia has launched a take-back program for products that contain mercury, including CFL and fluorescent bulbs, thermostats, household thermometers and button cell batteries. For full details, including drop-off locations visit mercuryns.ca.
Dan-X Recycling (64 Trider Cres, Burnside) also accepts CFL and fluorescent bulbs from residents and businesses for a nominal fee. If that program is not an option for you, residents may also place CFL bulbs in a sealed plastic bag in the garbage for collection.
Safe Sharps Bring Back Program
|Needles and lancets are not acceptable for disposal in the garbage. For more info, call RRFB Nova Scotia (1-877-313-7732) or your local pharmacy.
- Pick up a free Safe Sharps container at your local pharmacy.
- Place your used syringes, needles and lancets into the Safe Sharps container.
- When the container is almost full, seal the lid and return to your local pharmacy.
- See the Safe Sharps Brochure for more detail.
Mobile HSW Events
Set up curbside collection reminders to also be notified of mobile events.
Saturday, October 15
Mic Mac Mall Lower Parking Lot
The depot will operate from
9 a.m. to 4 p.m., rain or shine. The permanent depot on Horseshoe Lake Drive will also be open these dates.
Eligible residents may take these items to the HSW Depot:
- Batteries (Please see info below)
- Leftover liquid paint or Paint Recycling Program
- Leftover corrosive cleaners
- Fuel oil & used motor oil
- Solvents & thinners
- Pharmaceuticals & drugs (or return to pharmacy)
- Aerosol cans containing hazardous substances
- BBQ propane tanks
- Small propane cylinders (i.e. for camp stoves and propane torches)
- Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (CFL bulbs)
- Residential fire extinguishers
- Empty fire extinguishers (up to 5 lb) may be placed in the garbage.
Electronics are not accepted at the HSW Depot
- The following electronic devices are not accepted in the regular garbage or at the HSW depot.
- Computers (including CPUs, laptops and notebooks)
- Monitors, Printers
- Audio and video playback and recording systems:
- personal/portable audio/video systems, radios, speakers, CD players, MP3 players, stereos
- digital cameras, video cameras and camcorders
- VCR's, DVD players
- clock radios
- car stereo systems
- home theatre in a box
- Telephones (corded and cordless)
- Fax and answering machines
- Computer Scanners
- Cell Phones and other wireless devices
- To locate the nearest drop off centre visit www.recycleMyelectronics.ca/ or call 1-877-462-8907.
- Computers for Schools - Computers in working condition only. Please call ahead to confirm.
- There is NO FEE to drop these items off for recycling.