If you like helping people, appreciate continuous learning, and are physically fit, you may be an ideal candidate for a position as a volunteer firefighter.
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency (HRFE) is dedicated to saving lives and protecting property through fire prevention, fire suppression, and public education. HRFE is committed to continuous learning and superior customer service.
What is it like to be a volunteer firefighter?
As a volunteer firefighter, you’ll start by learning. The first step is to successfully complete HRFE’s Volunteer Firefighter Recruit Training, in which you’ll learn the basic skills required to respond to emergencies.
After that, you can expect an average of 25–35 hours per month of additional training, emergency responses, and meetings.
You will also be expected to:
- perform firefighting duties and other related work as required
- respond to and work in all types of weather
- work in a safe manner, in accordance with your training
- participate in community events as required
- carry a pager (provided) and respond to emergencies when available
- participate in weekly training
- be conscientious and dependable
What are the benefits of being a volunteer firefighter?
- Service to your community
- Free training
- Flexible time commitment
- Financial recognition--including an honorarium averaging $3,000 per year
- Personal reward, excitement and comradery.
What qualifications do I need to be a volunteer firefighter?
Before you apply, make sure that you have the following qualifications:
- a valid driver’s license, minimum Class 5 (not a learner's permit)
- grade 12 or equivalent education
- a driver's abstract demonstrating a safe driving record
- a clean criminal record check
- Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status
- ability to communicate in English
- normal vision and hearing
- physically and medically fit
- no phobias of confined heights or spaces
How do I apply to be a volunteer firefighter and what is the process?
You must be a resident in the station area that you wish to volunteer.
If this sounds like the right fit for you, read about the full process for applying to be a volunteer firefighter in Halifax.
Current opportunities for volunteer firefighters
HRFE is currently recruiting volunteers in the following areas:
- Black Point
- Cooks Brook
- Dutch Settlement
- Fall River
- Grand Lake
- Hammonds Plains
- Herring Cove
- Lake Echo
- Meaghers Grant
- Middle Musquodoboit
- Moser River
- Musquodoboit Harbour
- North Preston
- Ostrea Lake
- Oyster Pond
- Prospect Road
- Sheet Harbour
- Three Harbours
- Upper Musquodoboit
- Upper Tantallon
Find out which fire station is closest to you.
There are no volunteer firefighter positions at:
- University Ave., Halifax (Station 2)
- West St., Halifax (Station 3)
- Bayer's Rd., Halifax (Station 5)
- Herring Cove Rd., Halifax (Station 6)
- Highfield Park Dr., Dartmouth (Station 12)
- Knightsridge Dr. Halifax (Station 7)
- Pleasant St. Dartmouth (Station 15)
- Second St., Dartmouth (Station 14)