Emergency Management

Emergency Management | Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency

Everyone has a role to play in making sure we all stay safe in emergencies.

The Halifax Regional Municipality commits major resources to make our public buildings, roads, bridges, and you safe.

Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency, through its Emergency Management Division, leads the initial response to emergencies and disasters by:

  • Preparing emergency plans
  • Coordinating and managing emergency planning with first responders
  • Running emergency training and exercises with other first responders and municipal staff
  • Training volunteers to help deliver essential services and shelters during a disaster
  • Providing basic services to those impacted by a disaster
  • Maintaining specialized teams (e.g. Hazmat) to mobilize quickly in an emergency situation

Stay informed

In the event of an emergency, residents are encouraged to get the latest information by following @hfxgov on Twitter.

When warranted, the municipality will use its mass notification system hfxALERT  to issue notifications.  Sign up for hfxALERT today.

Help out in an emergency 

Are you interested in volunteering to help out in an emergency? You can join the Joint Emergency Management (JEM). JEM is a concept developed by the Halifax Regional Municipality's Emergency Management Office (EMO), to allow community organizations to prepare for, and respond quickly to, a wide range of emergencies.

Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency leads the initial response to emergencies and disasters. In the event of an emergency, residents can follow the @hfxgov Twitter account. Depending on the nature of the emergency or threat, information will be provided as well as other sources to monitor for critical information. When warranted, the municipality will also issue alerts via its mass notification system, hfxALERT.

Who’s responsible?

The following outlines who is responsible for addressing issues that result from emergency situations (e.g. winter storms, gas leaks, floods, forest fires, tropical storms/ hurricanes). The municipality encourages residents to have a good sense of where their own property ends and where a neighbour’s or municipally-owned property begins. 

Trees, brush and debris

  • Municipally-owned trees that fall on private property will be removed by the municipality
  • If a tree falls into the right of way and is blocking/impeding traffic, a sidewalk or bike lane, call 311 to be addressed by a professional crew.
  • Trees located on private land will be the sole responsibility of the homeowner

  • The municipality is not responsible for removing brush and debris from private property

Utility poles/ power lines

  • In the event of a problem with a utility pole or power line, contact Nova Scotia Power, or call 1.800.428.6230 | 902.428.6230


  • Individuals who encounter or experience flooding should contact 311. Calls will be assessed and re-directed accordingly.

Property damage 

  • Any damage to private property – occurring as a result of a hurricane or other natural disaster – should be reported to your insurance company 


  • An alarm triggered by a power reconnect, and not as a result of a real emergency, should be reported to a resident’s alarm company 

Trapped in your home

  • Call 911

Well problems

  • In the event of a power interruption, individuals should contact Nova Scotia Power (at the number provided above)
  • For information regarding well water testing visit Nova Scotia Environment, or call 1.800.565.1633 | 902.424.3600