2018 Advisory Committee on Accessibility Town Hall Minutes [PDF]
1. Call to Order and Opening Remarks – Councillor Lisa Blackburn, Committee Member
2. Staff overview of accessibility successes and challenges
• Melissa Myers, Accessibility Advisor, Office of Diversity and Inclusion
• Darren Young, Senior Project Manager, Corporate Facility Design and Construction, Corporate and Customer Services
• Lynn Llewellyn, Manager, Traffic Operations, Halifax Transit
• Hilary Hayes, Supervisor, Licensing and Ticket Information, Planning and Development
• Steve York, Superintendent, Winter Operations, Transportation and Public Works
• Rhonda Dea, Acting Manager, Aquatics, Leisure and Inclusion Services, Parks and Recreation & Noreen Guptill, Inclusion and Accessibility Specialist, Parks and Recreation
• Kim Jollimore, Acting Manager Customer Contact Centres, Corporate and Customer Services
3. Feedback, input, questions and comments from the public
• Please keep comments limited to 3 minutes or less
• 1 speaker at a time
• Speaker to provide name and community/organization for the record
• Please use the microphone so everyone can hear you
• Respect all points of view and opinions expressed
• If you wish to be contacted by staff for follow up after the meeting, leave your name and contact info at the front table
4. Closing Comments
5. Adjournment – 8:00 p.m.
Sighted guides, ASL Interpretation, and CART Captioning Service will be available.
If you do not wish to speak during the meeting, you can write down your questions or comments to be read aloud by a member of the Committee. Comment sheets are available at the table at the door. Volunteers at the table can assist with writing if needed. Please include your name and email address and/or phone number on the form so staff can get in touch with you after the meeting with any further information.
If you wish to speak during the public participation portion of the meeting, please keep your comments to 3 minutes or less, so that everyone has an opportunity to have a turn. There is a microphone set up in the centre or a handheld microphone can be brought to you. If you wish to be contacted by staff for follow up after the meeting, leave your name and contact information at the front table so they can get in touch with you.
Minutes are being taken from this meeting and will be available online next month after approval from the Committee. The Information being collected will inform a future report from the Advisory Committee on Accessibility to the Executive Standing Committee.
The meeting will end promptly at 8:00 p.m. to meet Access-A-Bus bookings. If any speakers did not have an opportunity to speak by the end of the meeting, a comment form can be left and staff will get back to you. As many people suffer from allergies to scented products, meeting participants should avoid wearing strongly scented perfumes.
Town Hall Meeting
Advisory Committee on Accessibility in the Halifax Regional Municipality
Tuesday, Nov 19, 2019
6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Multi-Purpose Room, Cole Harbour Place
51 Forest Hills Pkwy, Dartmouth
Description of event:
To discuss and gather input on current projects related to:
• The municipality's Accessibility Framework
• Corporate facility design and construction
• Public transportation -Transit, Access-A-Bus, taxis
• Roads and public walkways, including snow clearing
• Recreation programs
• 311 contact centres
Sighted guides, ASL interpretation and CART service will be provided.