1. CALL TO ORDER
2. COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – January 28, 2019
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
7. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS - January 28, 2019
7.1 Election of Chair and Vice-Chair
7.2 Case 22005: Internal Conversions, Peninsula West Area 1 Schedule, Halifax Peninsula Land Use Bylaw
Halifax and West Community Council requested that staff prepare a recommendation report on amending the Halifax Peninsula Land Use By-law to enable the internal conversion of existing residential buildings to a maximum of six units within the Peninsula West Area 1 Schedule.
The Peninsula West Area 1 Schedule was created in 2003 when Community Council rezoned the lands to the R-1 (Single Family) Zone and created specific regulations regarding lot coverage, height, and lot alteration for properties within the Schedule. The requested change, if approved, would only affect properties in the Peninsula West Area 1 Schedule.
In preparing the recommendation to Halifax and West Community Council, the Committee is being asked to assess the potential impact on the community. Staff are requesting input on the following matters:
- Internal conversion clauses in other area of the Peninsula LUB include provisions that must be met, such as minimum lot area, parking and open space, in order to be eligible for conversions - should similar conditions be included in this proposal?
The following information is before the Committee:
- Peninsula West Area 1 Schedule Map
- Staff Public Information Meeting Presentation
- Summary of Public Information Meeting (PIM) Minutes
For a copy of the materials presented to the Planning Advisory Committee, please contact the Clerk’s Office.
7.3 Case 21984: Application by EDM Planning Services Ltd, requesting to enter into a development agreement on lands at 2486 Creighton Street, Halifax to modify the R-2 (General Residential) Zone requirements and allow for a single unit dwelling with ground floor use for an office of a professional or a two unit (duplex) dwelling.
The subject site is PID # 41463225. It shares an easement for driveway/ parking lot access with the adjacent building at Civic #2490. The lots were approved on May 18, 2018.
The Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy designates the site for future medium density residential development. The zoning of the site is R-2 (General Residential) zone.
The proposal involves the use of Implementation Policy 4.6 of the MPS (lot modification) to allow for a development agreement, which indicates that:
“For any proposed development, the City may permit modification of the yard or lot area or width provisions of the Peninsula and Mainland Zoning By-laws…. provided that:
(a) the amenity, convenience, character and value of neighbouring properties will not be adversely affected;
(b) conditions necessitating such modification are unique to the lot and have not been created by either the owner of such lot or the applicant;
(c) the modification is necessary to secure an appropriate development of the lot where such lot is of such restricted area that it cannot be appropriately developed without such modification;
(d) the modification is consistent with Section II of this Plan; and
(e) the registered owner of the land for which the modification is sought shall enter into an agreement with Council pursuant to Section 34(1) of the Planning Act.
Feedback is sought from Halifax Peninsula Planning Advisory Committee relative to the proposed application. The committee’s recommendation will be forwarded along with the staff report to Halifax and West Community Council.
A postcard mailout to approximately 490 surrounding property owners and renters by HRM took place in early January of 2019 (in lieu of a public information meeting). Feedback was requested from residents/ property owners by Jan. 25th.
Information at the above link will be updated as required. For a copy of the materials presented to the Planning Advisory Committee, please contact the Clerk’s Office.
In preparing your recommendation to Halifax and West Community Council, kindly advise whether the proposal complies with Implementation policy 4.6 of the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy in consideration of the following:
- Is the proposed “office of a professional person” appropriate for the site and compatible with the surrounding neighbourhood?;
- Is the proposed “two-unit dwelling” appropriate for the site and compatible with the surrounding neighbourhood?; and
- Please advise of any other applicable land use issues/ impacts.
8. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
9. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
10.1.1 Case 20871: WSP, on behalf of Westwood Construction Ltd., has requested to enter into a development agreement to enable a mixed-use development that consists of 5 buildings on shared private driveway on lands located between Almon Street and St. Albans Street (PIDs 00005090, 40414021, 00005108, 40414013, 40414005, 00005116, 00005272, 00005264, 00005140, 00005132, and 00005124), Halifax.
The lands are zoned C-2 (General Commercial) in the Halifax Peninsula LUB, and designated Major Commercial in the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy. Additionally, the lands are located within the Peninsula North, Sub-area 2 Secondary Plan, and are identified as Schedule Q which allows for the consideration of multi-unit residential and mixed use development subject to a development agreement.
Feedback is sought from Halifax Peninsula Planning Advisory Committee relative to the proposed application. The Committee’s recommendation will be forwarded along with the staff report to Halifax and West Community Council.
Information is provided at the above link, and will be updated as necessary. For a copy of the materials presented to the Planning Advisory Committee, please contact the Clerk’s Office.
In preparing your recommendation to Halifax and West Community Council, kindly advise whether the proposal complies with the policies of the Halifax Municipal Planning Strategy in consideration of the following:
- Is the site development effectively mitigating the impacts on adjacent properties through urban design (height, massing, scale and architectural treatments) and landscape treatments?
- Does the proposal create high quality design at street level?
- Please advise of any other applicable land use issues/ impacts.
10.1.2 Halifax Peninsula Planning Advisory Committee – 2018 Annual Report [PDF]
THAT the Halifax Peninsula Planning Advisory Committee approve the 2018 Annual Report and forward it to Halifax and West Community Council for their information.
10.2 COMMITTEE MEMBERS
11. ADDED ITEMS
12. DATE OF NEXT REGULAR MEETING – March 18, 2019
INFORMATION ITEMS – NONE