Time: 12:30 p.m.
Location: Virtual Meeting
Minutes: February 28, 2022 Board of Police Commissioners Minutes (PDF)
1. CALL TO ORDER AND LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
2. COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – January 17, 2022, January 31, 2022 Special Meeting, February 3, 2022 Special Meeting
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
7. MOTION OF RESCISSION – September 20, 2021 and October 18, 2021
That the Board of Police Commissioners waive section 63 (3) of Administrative Order One respecting notice of motion for a motion of Rescission.
That the Board of Police Commissioners:
1. Rescind the September 20, 2021 motion deferring receipt of the petition from East Cast Prison Justice Society and discussion of the request in the petition to the next meeting of the Board of Police Commissioners; and
2. Rescind the following October 18, 2021 motions:
a) requesting an independent legal opinion and a staff report on the jurisdictional authority for the Commission to create a terms of reference for an independent civilian review; and
b) deferring a motion to prepare a mandate for an independent civilian review of the HRP’s handling of the protests on August 18, 2021 pending receipt of the independent legal opinion and staff report.
8. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS
8.1 Board of Police Commissioners Subcommittee to Define Defunding Police Report; Defunding the Police: Defining the Way Forward for HRM – January 17, 2022
- Subcommittee Report [PDF]
- January 17, 2022 Presentation [PDF]
9. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
9.3.1 Presentation – Policing and Family Violence Against Men – Kelsey Green [PDF]
10. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
11.1.1 Halifax Regional Police 2021/22 – 3rd Quarter Financial Update [PDF]
11.1.2 Halifax Regional Police Strategic Plan Update [PDF]
11.1.3 Halifax Regional Police and Halifax District Royal Canadian Mounted Police and Crime Statistics
(i) Halifax Regional Police – Biannual Crime Statistics [PDF]
(ii) Halifax District Royal Canadian Mounted Police Statistical Overview July to December and Calendar Year Crime Statistics [PDF]
11.1.4 2022 Board of Police Commissioners Work Plan [PDF]
11.1.5 Canadian Association of Police Governance Membership Renewal [PDF]
That the Board of Police Commissioners approve the annual renewal of the Commission’s membership in the Canadian Association of Police Governance in the amount of $5,100.
11.2 MEMBERS OF BOARD OF POLICE COMMISSIONERS
11.2.1 Commissioners Blackburn – Subcommittee to Review the Define Defunding Police Report Recommendations [PDF]
That the Board of Police Commissioners strike a subcommittee, made up of up to three Commissioners, to review the recommendations of the Board of Police Commissioners Subcommittee to Define Defunding Police report and determine the body responsible for their completion.
11.2.2 Commissioners McDougall – Proposal to host the Canadian Association of Police Governance 2024 Annual Conference [PDF]
That the Board of Police Commissioners send a proposal to the Canadian Association of Police Governance expressing the Board of Police Commissioners’ interest in hosting the Canadian Association of Police Governance Annual Conference in 2024.
11.2.3 Commissioner Critchley – Human Resources consultant to study the issues of understaffing and increased mental health claims within the Halifax Regional Police [PDF]
That the Chair of the Board of Police Commissioners direct the Chief Officer of the Halifax Regional Police (HRP) to, in consultation with and with the approval of the Board of Police Commissioners, hire a Human Resources consultant to study the issues of understaffing, increased mental health claims, and increased long-term absences within the Halifax Regional Police. The objective of this study would be to present a report to the Board of Police Commission which would outline:
a) the contributing factors giving rise to these issues; and
b) recommendations for addressing these issues in the short, medium, and long term.
This report could then inform budget deliberations in future fiscal years.
11.2.4 Commissioner Critchley – Special public consultation meeting on policing and gender-based violence [PDF]
That the Board of Police Commissioners invite subject matter experts in the areas of gender-based violence, family violence, sexual violence, and intimate partner violence (collectively, “gender-based violence”) to give presentations to the Board at a special consultation meeting.
That the Chair of the Board of the Police Commissioners direct the chief officer of the Halifax Regional Police to, ahead of the special consultation meeting, draft a staff report outlining policies, procedures, statistics and other relevant information relating to the issue of policing and gender-based violence.
That the Chair of the Board of the Police Commissioners advise the chief officer of the Halifax District RCMP to do the same.
11.3 COMMISSIONER UPDATES
11.4 HALIFAX REGIONAL POLICE/ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE CHIEF UPDATES
12. ADDED ITEMS
13. ITEMS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION
14. IN CAMERA (In Private)
The Board of Police Commissioners may rise and go into a private In Camera (In Private) session, in accordance with Section 51 of the Nova Scotia Police Act for the purposes of dealing with the following:
14.1 In Camera (In Private) Minutes – January 31, 2022 Special Meeting and February 3, 2022 Special Meeting
That the In Camera (In Private) minutes of January 31, 2022 Special Meeting and February 3, 2022 Special Meeting be approved as circulated.
15. NOTICES OF MOTION
16. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – March 21, 2022
1. Proposed 2022/23 Halifax Regional Police & Royal Canadian Mounted Police Budget and Business Plan submitted to the February 23, 2022 meeting of Budget Committee. [PDF]
2. Report on work of Canadian Association of Police Governance (CAPG) dated February 2022. [PDF]
3. Information report from the Legislative Assistant dated February 24, 2022 re Presentation Requests. [PDF]