Time: 12:30 p.m.
Location: Virtual Meeting
Minutes: January 17, 2022 Board of Police Commissioners Minutes (PDF)
1. CALL TO ORDER
Mi’kmaq Land Acknowledgment
1.1 ELECTION OF CHAIR AND VICE CHAIR
2. COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – December 13, 2021
4. APPROVAL OF THE ORDER OF BUSINESS AND APPROVAL OF ADDITIONS AND DELETIONS
5. BUSINESS ARISING OUT OF THE MINUTES
6. CALL FOR DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
7. CONSIDERATION OF DEFERRED BUSINESS
7.1 Halifax Regional Police 2022/23 Proposed Operating Budget – December 13, 2021
December 13, 2021 Motion:
THAT the Board of Police Commissioners:
1. Approve the proposed Halifax Regional Police Operating Budget for 2022/2023 as presented at the December 13, 2021 meeting of the Board of Police Commissioners; and
2. Recommend that Halifax Regional Council approve the proposed Halifax Regional Police
Operating Budget for 2022/2023, as approved by the Board of Police Commissioners at their December 13, 2021 meeting.
(i) Request for Consideration – Commissioner Critchley [PDF]
That the Board of Police Commissioners hold a special online meeting to give members of the general public an opportunity to provide input and feedback regarding the proposed HRP budget for fiscal 2022/23.
8. CORRESPONDENCE, PETITIONS & DELEGATIONS
8.3.1 Presentation – Regarding Proposed Budget Increase for Halifax Regional Police: Bad Neighbours – Collins Ellison [PDF]
8.3.2 Presentation – Halifax District Royal Canadian Mounted Police and Overarching Provincial Structure – Hayley Crichton Executive Director of Public Safety & Security, Public Safety & Security Division, Department of Justice [PDF]
9. INFORMATION ITEMS BROUGHT FORWARD – NONE
10.1 STAFF – NONE
10.2 MEMBERS OF BOARD OF POLICE COMMISSIONERS
10.2.1 Commissioner Smith – Submission of the Board of Police Commissioners Subcommittee to Define Defunding Police Report – Defunding the Police: Defining the Way Forward for HRM [PDF] *Large PDF (19MB)
10.2.2 Commissioner McDougall – Canadian Association of Police Governance 2022 Webinar Series [PDF]
That the Board of Police Commissioners approve the registration of the Board of Police Commissioners in the Canadian Association of Police Governance 2022 Webinar Series, as outlined in Attachment A of the January 5, 2022 staff memorandum.
10.3 COMMISSIONER UPDATES – NONE
10.4 HALIFAX REGIONAL POLICE/ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE CHIEF UPDATES
11. ADDED ITEMS
12. ITEMS FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION
13. IN CAMERA (In Private)
The Board of Police Commissioners may rise and go into a private In Camera (In Private) session, in accordance with Section 51 of the Nova Scotia Police Act for the purposes of dealing with the following:
13.1 In Camera (In Private) Minutes – December 13, 2021
That the In Camera (In Private) minutes of December 13, 2021 Special Meeting be approved as circulated.
Private and Confidential Information Items:
1. Correspondence dated January 6 and 7, 2022
14. NOTICES OF MOTION
15. DATE OF NEXT MEETING – February 28, 2022